2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 2:07 PM by jawnne

Container Field Compression

jawnne

Title

Container Field Compression

Hello all,

I am new to filemaker and I am a novice at making relational databases.  I am having an issue with the filemaker container fields.  My database seems to be lagging when it tries to load the image onscreen.  This has become a serious issue in that it keeps crashing on me. 

What I am doing is importing CS ChemDraw Drawings (.cdx) files into the database via drag and drop with no problem.  The size of each file is about 4KB in its native state (unassociated), I have 1,306 records, with 21 other fields containing text and this somehow comes out to be 326,208KB.  By my calculation 4KB x 1306 should only be 5,224KB plus whatever the other 21 fields contribute.  I made a copy of this database and deleted this field to see what its contribution was, which is 972KB.

Can someone offer me any solutions to this problem?

Jawnne

• 1. Re: Container Field Compression
          philmodjunk

Try storing a reference to the file in your container instead of the actual file.

Instead of drag and drop, click in your container field, select insert | file..., find your file. Click the "Store only a reference" option at the bottom of the dialog and click Open.

To open the drawing in its native appliatoin, double click the container field.

Note: in networked databases, this only works if the original files are located on a drive that each user has mounted on their system.

• 2. Re: Container Field Compression
            jawnne

Thanks for your speedy reply.  Undoubtly, the reference would decrease the size dramatically.  However, I need the chemical structure presented in these CS ChemDraw Drawings to be displayed.  For reports and what not.  I don't necessary have to embed this field in the database.  Would working with multiple related Filemaker Files work?  In MS Access there was a plugin software from Amara called DBPix that compressed the images that reduced the bloat.  Do you know of anything similar to this for Filemaker?