4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 8:23 AM by italley

Container Field Contents Missing

italley

Title

Container Field Contents Missing

Hi,

The issue I have run into is many of my photos and other image files are missing. The container field simply displays <Missing: "filename" >. 

I have a database setup like as a survey so that each form generates a clone from the question set. In my response area I allow users filling in the form to add photos taken with the iPad camera feature in FileMaker Go. 

I have not changed the location of the images other than to change the container fields from storing internally to storing externally using the default secure storage path. After making that change I did not notice any issues till a few weeks later.

Does anyone have an idea of how this could have happened or what the best solution would be?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Container Field Contents Missing
          philmodjunk

When you inserted or imported these files, was the "store a reference" option selected?

That option should not be used for container fields with external storage specified.

• 2. Re: Container Field Contents Missing
            italley

I did not select the "store only a reference" option when inserting images. As for the photos, they were added directly to the container field in FileMaker Go by selecting the camera feature. All the images are stored in one secure folder but I have not found a way to refresh or redirect FileMaker to that location.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Container Field Contents Missing
              philmodjunk

Why would you need to refresh or redirect Filemaker to the specified external storage location? What changed? Did you move or modify files directly in that folder?

When using the iOS device to insert the picture, did you have the database open on the client machine as a client of a hosted database?

• 4. Re: Container Field Contents Missing
                italley

Correct. I am not using FM Server but instead have the database open on a system in my office for others to remotely connect.

As for refreshing the path: I have not change the file locations but, as in the original post, the images now only show as missing. Since I had FileMaker automatically create the secure folder (defaulted to Survey/Secure in the database folder) to store the container field contents externally, I can only assume something has broken the connection to this folder location. If I could direct the database back to this folder to look for the images that are listed as missing it should find them. 

Is that correct? If so can anyone direct me to the steps.

Thanks