14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 11:17 AM by rudihoremans

Container Field only showing on MAC

nick_1

Title

Container Field only showing on MAC

I think I may have posted this before, but I am still looking for a quick (simple) workaround for being able to veiw files loaded into container's on both mac and windows. I understand that the file path is different on both machines and that is the reason why I am only able to view the image from whichever machine loaded the files into the container. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Nick

• 1. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
          philmodjunk

What kind of files and how were they inserted?

One option is to use FileMaker 12's new "external storage option".

With older versions of FileMaker you are looking at a calculation field that computes the correct FilePath to the container field's file based on what platform is in use.

It also requires that the directory to the image files be mapped and mounted with the same file path produced in this calculation field.

• 2. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
            nick_1

They are jpeg and they were inserted by importing an entire folder. Will external storage option work with it being stored on a server?

• 3. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
              philmodjunk

External storage can specify a location on the server for your inserted images. It is my understanding that one of the reasons this new feature was added was to solve this particular issue as well as to make "by reference" files accessible without also exposing the directory in which they are stored.

• 4. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                davidanders

Google "define paths site:forums.filemaker.com"   Threads on these forums

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+paths+site%3Aforums.filemaker.com

• 5. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                  JimMac

It is not a Mac vs Windows issue.  You can only share an external referenced container and see it using FMP12.  Even in FMP12 I don't think you can view mulitple photos inside a Folder in one container field.

Jim...

• 6. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                    nick_1

Hi Jim, 

The issue is with the mapping to the file on Windows and MAC. The format is different on each and that is why the loading of images on one system creates a bad direction for the other. I have tried setting up an external folder to fix this, but have not been successfull yet. I am wondering if it has to do with the file being pointed to on a server. Thanks for the feedback

nick

• 7. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                      nick_1

PhilmodJunk, 

After attempting to use an external storage option, it resulted in an error. The error is in connection with using pointers to files rather than loading hard copies into the database. I ran a test and loaded the files into the database to check for latency ( you mentioned fmp11 being more responsive than fmp12). After the files were loaded and an external storage was set up, the searches ran smooth ( still much slower than pointers). 

My biggest concern is the updating of images already loaded into the database. Having 200 images to update is not a problem compared to a few thousand. That is why i preferred to use a pointers rather than loading the hard copies of images into the database. 

Maybe in FMP13, they will have solved the issue with mapping from seperate machines ( mac vs windows). It would have been nice if the code was imbedded rather than having to calculate it internally. 

Thanks for all your help:)

nick

• 8. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                        philmodjunk

External Storage should work with "store a reference" container fields and I would think that updating the storage options for a given container field to change it to "external" should result in copying the images to the new location with updated filepath info in the container field. THis assumes that you do this from a computer where the current filepaths in the container fields are valid.

I haven't tried this exact set up, however so I could be wrong. That's just my take on reading the help files and a few tests made here on a single computer.

• 9. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                          nick_1

It does create a location for the files ( which worked great  for loading time ), but after logging in on the windows side the container is filled with just a thumbnail rather than the image itself. I haven't had any luck on being able to use only a reference to the file for both machines. What worked great on one machine only affected the other with reference to viewing. 

Considering 90%+ of us on the team only use Mac, it isn't that much of an issue. We will eventually share this cross platform and that is what I am preparing for. 

Thanks again!

I'll let you know what worked if I figure it out.

nick

• 10. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                            philmodjunk

A thumbnail of the image or just the icon that tells you there's a file in the container field?

Does using the Optimize for interactive content option on the inspector's data tab make any difference?

• 11. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                              nick_1

The icon only shows up. I tried the optimizing box for interactive content and it stll fails to transfer any files. So far, my options are limited. I found information on the errors I was recieving upon transfer and it turned out that the pointer to the file does not help. 

• 12. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                                philmodjunk

and it stll fails to transfer any files.

If you are seeing the icon, it would appear the file was transferred to external storage but for some reason is not being displayed in the container field. I wish I had both mac and windows platforms and a server available to test for this one to see if I can figure out the right combination of options to get it to work, but don't have that.

The "old" school approach is something I described in general terms earlier. A calculation that returns a container type can use an expression that extracts the filePath from your existing container file, but then modifies the file path to the format that will work for the current user's operating system. Generally speaking, it is usually only the first part of the file path: imagemac:volume name vs. imagewin:driveletter: that differs between the two.

• 13. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                                  JimMac

I am very interested in this post, since i am working on doing the same thing.  So i will be repetitve only for claification.Innocent

Facts [I think]

1) Your database is on FMP12 server or HOST..

2) Your external reference is on the Sever Computer not on external network drive.

3) All users have FMP12 and OPEN REMOTE to access the DB.

4) You specified in the File menu | Manage | Database | Fields (tab) | Container field | Options... | Storage | Check box Store container exterally | and finally assigned a file path relative to your Server DB

Then...

Inserted a new pict file in that container field.  It will pause and transfer all past records to the new reference if it has changed. {you might do a test DB with just that one container field to speed up the test}

After that....

5) A Windows FMP12 computer OPEN REMOTE and can't see the file, but a Mac with FMP12 OPEN REMOTE can.

If my summary Facts are true then you have a FMP12 bug, because the filepath is from the Server DB and has nothing to do with Window's File paths.

Jim...

• 14. Re: Container Field only showing on MAC
                                    rudihoremans

As 90% of your people work with Macintoshes: did you check whether the images were saved with thumbnails for Windows enabled in Photoshop ?