6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 12:00 PM by Gogrizz

Container field only works on the first record

Gogrizz

Title

Container field only works on the first record

Hey All,

I'm trying to add a container field to my file.  For some reason, the container field is only functional on my first page.  If I right click the field on the first page, I see the menu that allows me to add a picture/file/quicktime etc.  If I right click the field on any other page, either nothing happens or I get the cut/copy/paste menu.

I have tried absolutely everything that I can think and can't find anything about it in this forum.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Container field only works on the first record
          philmodjunk

Not sure what you are describing here. "first page" is pretty vague and you also say "First File" which is something completely different.

Are you saying this only works on the first layout or only on the first record?

• 2. Re: Container field only works on the first record
            Gogrizz

Sorry for the confusion,

I'm relatively new to file maker and really new to the forum.  Allow me to reiterate:

I can only get the container field to work properly on the first "record".  On all subsequent records, the container field does not function correctly and when I try to insert an image, right clicking on the field gives me the cut/copy/paste menu.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Container field only works on the first record
              philmodjunk

How exactly did you add this container field to your database file?

Is it defined in the same table as the rest of the fields on your layout or is it in a related table?

Where on the layout did you place it? Header? Body? or ???

When you insert an image in this field, does this image only show with the first record or all the records?

• 4. Re: Container field only works on the first record
                Gogrizz

1) the container filed was added through Insert > Field > Picture1 (which is the field name)

2) The "Picture1" field is part of it's own separate table however it's related to the main table through a "Project_Number" field that I created.  I also have a text field called "Picture1_Description" which is part of the same table as "Picture1".  I have no problem editing/accessing/inserting content in the "Picture1_Description" field.

3) The container field in question is on a tab which is part of the body.  However even if I take it out of the tab, the same problem occurs

4) When inserting an image in the container field, it appears on the 1st record only.  No images appear in any other record.  I can see the outline of the field, but can't do anything with it.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Container field only works on the first record
                  philmodjunk

Is Project_Number in the main table defined as a Serial number field with the On Creation option selected?

If you open Manage | Database | Relationships and double click the relationship line linking your Main table to your image table, what options are selected? A"llow creation of records via this relationship" for the Image table?

• 6. Re: Container field only works on the first record
                    Gogrizz

DID IT!!!!!

The "Allow creation of records via this relationship" had not been checked (although it was for my other relationships), so now everything is working exactly like I want it to.

Thanks so much!!!