3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 8:33 AM by philmodjunk

Container field printing on a page break

CraigFiore

Title

Container field printing on a page break

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a lay out with text and photos (container fields) every record had a different amount of text. Some times the photo end up on the page break. Is there a way to have the container field jump to the next page if it falls on a page break?

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Container field printing on a page break
          philmodjunk

Not easily, you'd have to determine the exact height of each record and given the sliding fields, this will not be something that's easy to set up.

GetLayoutObjectAttribute can compute the height of a sliding field, but only in preview mode so you'd have to preview each and every record in a script that then calculated the height of each record so that you could use a small blank sub summary layout part to force a page break any time their is insufficient room to fit the next container field on the layout.

• 2. Re: Container field printing on a page break
            CraigFiore

Unfortunately, that solution will not work for us. I need something that is completely automatic. Do you know if that is something that is going to be offered in the future?

• 3. Re: Container field printing on a page break
              philmodjunk

I'm only a fellow FileMaker user so I don't have any inside line to future offerings. Those that do couldn't tell you as it is the policy of FileMaker Inc. not to announce future features and bug fixes.

What I describe could be fully automatic, but might be slow and would be very complex to set up as a script and special layouts would be needed to compute the height needed for each record in your found set in order to set values in the records to force (via a sub summary layout part) early page breaks on an as needed basis to keep from splitting the field over a page break.

Hmmm, the "slow" issue might be reduced to manageable levels if the height were computed each time the record is committed rather than as a "batch" operation just before you print/preview/PDF your report...