12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2011 6:47 AM by CarlTancredi

Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file

CarlTancredi

Title

Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file

Hi,

I'm running a Mac Pro, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8 I have FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 and Amadeus Pro 1.5.5 to make audio files.
       I collect 45 r.p.m. records. THE PROBLEM: THE ENCHANTERS sang “True Love Gone.” I wanted the MP3 audio file to be next to  
       its song title.
       I highlighted the correct container field. I clicked <Insert >  <QuickTime>. The Insert Quick Time Window appeared. I  
       selected “True Love Gone.” The audio file went in the wrong container field. It appeared in THE FLAMINGOS container field. 
      Please see screen shot  Screen_shot_2011-10-25_at_8.43.46_PM.png
       I experimented with 2 more MP3 audio files: “Money” and  “Cry” by THE MIRACLES. Each audio file landed in the placeholder row
       directly underneath THE MIRACLES row.

I apologize for not including the audio file screenshots for “Money” and ”Cry”. I didn't know how to make additional screenshots.
      I'm new to FileMaker Pro 11. One of the reasons I chose this program was its multi-media capabilities. This is very frustrating.
      Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      Respectfully yours,   Carl

Screen_shot_2011-10-25_at_8.43.46_PM.png

• 1. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
          philmodjunk

Is the screen shot shown in your post (the link seems to just connect back to this same thread), show what you get before you insert the file or just after?

• 2. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
            CarlTancredi

Hi,

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem.

The screenshot is immediately AFTER.

For clarity sake, permit me to go over the screen shot with you.

I highlighted my container field.

Next, I went to the <Insert QuickTime Window>

In the <Insert QuickTime Window> I highlighted the True Love Gone.MP3

Now for the last step. I clicked the <Insert QuickTime Window's  <choose button> 

Immediately, automatically, without missing a beat, faster than a speeding bullet, the True Love Gone.MP3 audio file showed up in the wrong container field.

I hope I answered your question and provided the information you may need.

Again, thank you for interest.

Carl

• 3. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
              philmodjunk

What I see is that the focus is in the Sound File A side field of the record with "True Love Gone (Come on home)" entered into the Song Title A Side field. Isn't this what you want?

I can tell that this record has the focus by the fact that there's a small triangle pointing to that row on the far left to indicate which record is the current record.

I think the fact that the play back controls for this field have popped out and overlap the next row down is creating the illusion that the focus is in the next row down when it is not.

• 4. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                CarlTancredi

Hi,

I was also speaking with FileMaker, Connor, to be exact. He suggested an experiment. How would the audio

file appear in Form View? 

Would there be any over lapping into another field? 

I am providing you with a BEFORE screenshot in Form View. Here are its particulars:

The Enchanters' record is in Form View.

The Sound File A Side field is highlighted. This is where the audio file belongs. This is why I created a separate container

file.

What happens after I complete the Insert > QuickTime > Insert QuickTime Window > open process? 

Once again, immediately, automatically, without missing a beat, faster than a speeding bullet, the True Love Gone.MP3

audio file, once again, showed up in the wrong container field. Where is it? Song Title B Side field. 

Since FMP 11 limits me to 1 screenshot per posting, I will send you another answer posting with the AFTER screenshot 

of  The Enchanters' record in Form View. 

Carl

• 5. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                  CarlTancredi
                  /files/337f01f28b/Screen_shot_2011-10-27_at_7.07.55_PM.png 1280x800
                  • 6. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                    CarlTancredi

Hi Mr. Modjunk,

You mentioned that in Table View, “...this record has the focus ...small triangle...far left...indicate...record is the current record...playback controls...have popped out...overlap...next row down...creating illusion...focus is not...” This assessment may be true when the record is in Table View. However, why does the audio slider appear in the wrong container field while in Form View? Is this still an illusion? In Form View, there are no overlapping of fields. However, the song title “Wait A Minute Baby” is now hidden from view.

All I wanted FMP 11 to do is create a container field and insert a sound file, in the container field of my choice. No other fields should be compromised. There should be no popping out of any playback controls,no overlapping, and no  illusions of any kind. Would FMP 11 intentionally have a built-in illusion component? It makes no sense. It lacks credulity. Is FMP 11 capable of doing basic, elementry, kindergarden-variety multi-media database tasks? 

I expected a professional multi-media experience from FMP 11. That is the only reason why I bought FMP 11. My database wil be multi-media-audio-video and text intenesive. Is FMP 11 ready for multi-media prime time?

Mr Modjunk, I greatly appreciate your time and consideration on my behalf.  

Respectfully yours,   Carl

• 7. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                      RonCates

Wow, my ears hurt from all that shouting :(

• 8. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                        CarlTancredi

Hi Ron,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. “...Shouting...” May we lower my decibel level to high frustration?  :-) 

Thank you again for your post.

Carl

• 9. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                          mgores

Carl,

I think that what Phil is trying to tell you is that the contents of your container field are larger than the space you created for it in your layout.  When the field is not selected, the contents are cut off.  But when that field is selexted Filemaker "opens" it up to let you see the entire contents, this is causing it to overlap the fields/records next to it.  The easiest solution would be to edit the layout and increase the size of that field so that it doesn't have to "open" up to display the contents when selected.

• 10. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                            philmodjunk

Yep.

And the "shouting" Ron is referring to is the large bold text you've used in your last posts. They have that unintended affect on the folks reading your posts.

• 11. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                              CarlTancredi
                              Hi Mark,
                              I'm sorry. Ooohhh. My intent was not to shout. I wear glasses and I just wanted a bigger font so it would be easier for me to read. I never needed reading
                              glasses until I cracked 40. In January, I'll be 65. When I chose heading 3, it was the next largest font. Permit me to apologize profusely. Sorry about that
                              Ron. Next time I'll use whispering font :-)
                              Mark, you reminded me and clarified what Phil was telling me. I'm attempting to self-educate myself with FMP 11. My primary source is FileMaker Pro 11
                               the missing manual,
                              first edition June 2010, by Susan Prosser & Stuart Gripman. Also, I'm taking advantage of the User's Guide as a back-up source.
                              Mark you're right. I read and forgot about entering large amounts of text in a small text field and how the text disappears, but doesn't, unless you make
                              the field larger. I never linked the fact, that large amounts of sound over time, in a small container field, behaved the same as text in a small text
                              field. Each would require a larger field size to accomodate all the data.

Let me fiddle with making a larger container field and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for your time on this matter. In closing, permit me to give you a respectful, quiet shout out, Yo' 
                              Carl
                              • 12. Re: Container Field Problem - MP3 Audio Sound file
                                CarlTancredi

Hello Mark,

YUP. Such a simple solution. Make the container field larger. I did and it worked.

Much appreciation to Phil, Ron and you. The sharing of your time, knowledge and expertise made this task a whole lot easier. Don't be surprised if you see me in the forum again, needing help. Also, special thanks to Connor and Angel, part of the FileMaker team for their help and time.

Hope all is well with you and yours,

Carl