6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 10:00 AM by MarkMichaud

Container field question

MarkMichaud

Title

Container field question

Hopefully someone can guide me on using a container field in a database.  I'm working on a database that manages equipment inventory.  The inventory contains thousands of widgets, some of which are the same type of item. In other words, I might have 100 widgets that are all the same but have different serial numbers but have the same model number.  I track all the same type or model widgets as separate records in the database, each with it's unique serial number.   I could do this by importing a photo in each of the seperate records but I don't want to do this, as it's time consumming and sloppy.  I want to import one picture into the database for each type or model of widget.  When the record is pulled up of any of the 100 records for that model of widget,  a photo of that widget is shown on the screen. Can you offer suggestions on how I can do this?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Container field question
          philmodjunk

Set up a related table of Models, one record for each model. Put a container field for your objects in that table and you'll have one image for each model.

• 2. Re: Container field question
            MarkMichaud

I just tried it and it works great.  

Is it best to create or delete photos from both tables via the relationship settings or just one.  What is best practice?

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Container field question
              philmodjunk

Why would you have photos in both tables? Wasn't the whole point of this change to move the photos into the Models table?

• 4. Re: Container field question
                MarkMichaud

No, not both tables, just the new related table wold hold the photos.  What I'm curious about is how to handle the permisions to create or delete photos in the relationship screen.  When you create the relationship you can choose to allow records to be created or deleted from one or the other table.  The way I see it is if you want to control the addition or deletion of records on the photo table you would only allow this in the related table that users would not have access to.  If you wanted users to add or delete photo records from the main table you would give them permison fro the main table. 

• 5. Re: Container field question
                  philmodjunk

That relatiosnship option which enables creation of a RECORD in the table has utility only in very specific contexts. It's primary use is to enable users to automatically create and link new related records in a portal by entering data into the bottom blank "add row" that appears in the portal when this option is enabled. And since this applies to your portal, enabling it for the parent table (the layout's table), doesn't really do much.

• 6. Re: Container field question
                    MarkMichaud

Thanks for you help and comments!