2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 12:46 AM by Sorbsbuster

Container Fields

BradHarrison

Title

Container Fields

We have a relational db for customers.  I want to be able store price quotes and order files (typically pdf) in a container field so all salespeople and management can have access to quotes.  The db structure is not the issue.  The issue I am having is after creating the container field, then inserting a pdf into the field, it is awfully clunky trying to open the file.

When I insert as a file, the only way to access it is to export the contents (to desktop or whereever), then go there to open it.  When I insert the file as an object, I can sort of open on a double-click on my Windows machine, it will open it in Acrobat Reader (even though my default is Nitro PDF).  While that 'sorta works', when my sales manager on his Mac tries to open it, its interpreted on the Mac as an image, not a PDF.

Intuitively, you ought to be able to simply double-click on the file in the container field and have it open in the program it was created in, much like double-clicking on an attachment in an email.  Am I missing something here?

I have read other posts on the forum concerning container fields and have seen references to scripts.  Is that what I have do?  Write a convoluted script to do something that should happen natively?

Please help

• 1. Re: Container Fields
          philmodjunk

Option 1:

Double clicking the container will open the file, provided you use the "store a reference" option to insert the filepath to the file rather than a physical copy of the file. On a networked database, this can require some extra work with your server settings as the filepath to the file's directory must be the same for all users and they must have at least read only access rights to the folder where the PDF files are kept.

Option 2:

Use Export Field Contents to export a copy of the file, but click the open automatically check box. This avoids the need to find and open the exported file after exporting it.

Option 3:

Write a script that uses Export Field contents to export and open the file. It's possible to specify a file path to the temporary items folder for this script so that you do not clutter up your computer with extra or out of date copies of the file.

• 2. Re: Container Fields
            Sorbsbuster

The explanation for Nitro etc may be here:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/b35891e87f