4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 12:04 PM by MikeMcHugh_1

Container Fields - differences between import and drag-and-drop

MikeMcHugh_1

Title

Container Fields - differences between import and drag-and-drop

Hello,

We are using FMPv10 under Windows 7.

We have been populating container fields with pdf documents by importing them; to view the docs we have to export them. One of my colleagues recently "discovered" that if you populate the container field by dragging-and-dropping you can open the document simply by double-clicking.

I was under the impression that an imported document was embedded, but a drag-and-drop document was simply linked ... but now I'm not so sure, and would appreciate some help/clarification.

My colleague dragged a document into a container. He then deleted the ORIGINAL document (from his hard drive) and closed the db. When he re-opened the db the document icon was still in the container field and double-clicking opened it. How can this be - if the document was not embedded, shouldn't the link to it have been broken?

Thanks for any conments/insight.

Mike McHugh

• 1. Re: Container Fields - differences between import and drag-and-drop
          MarcMcCall

Draging into a container field embeds it into the field. Or at least it does on my PC.  Windows 7 and FMv11

Added:  When I drag and drop, I cannot export the contents.

• 2. Re: Container Fields - differences between import and drag-and-drop
            philmodjunk

On windows in versions prior to FileMaker 12, drag and drop is the same as Insert Object. This is an OLE object and thus a double click can open the file. I do not recommend that you use drag and drop or insert object with versions prior to 12 on windows systems however:

Inserted objects cannot be exported. The only way to extract a file inserted as an OLE object is to manually double click the container field and then save a copy of the file once it is opened. As far as I know there is no batch operation you can use for inserted objects and this can create major problems when you need to do such operations.

OLE is not supported in FileMaker 12. In 12, drag and drop works the same in Mac and Windows and it is the functional equivalent of Insert File without the "store a reference" option specified.

In all versions, if you use Insert File with the "store a reference" option and do not have external storage specified (FileMaker 12 feature) double clicking the container field opens the inserted file.

• 3. Re: Container Fields - differences between import and drag-and-drop
              davidanders

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10569/kw/Container%20fields%20Drag%20and%20Drop

Products
                        FileMaker Pro12.x
                        FileMaker Pro Advanced12.x

FileMaker Pro allows you to use drag and drop to transfer information within a FileMaker Pro database, between databases, or between FileMaker Pro and other applications that support drag and drop.  In addition, you can drag a file from Windows Explorer (Windows) or the Finder (Mac OS X).

FileMaker, Inc. has identified an issue with drag and drop and related Containerfields that are optimized for Interactive Content.  When a related Containerfield is optimized for Interactive Content, you may find that dragging and dropping content from Windows Explorer or the Finder does not work as expected.

WORKAROUNDS:

The following have been identified as methods that will allow you to drag and drop content from the Windows Explorer or the Finder into a ContainerField optimized for Interactive Content.

•           Optimize the related Container Field for Images using the Inspector
              •      
              •           Place the Container field inside an appropriately configured Portal
              •      
              •           Click into the Container field first before you drag and drop the content from Windows Explorer or the Finder

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10245/kw/Container%20fields%20Drag%20and%20Drop
              Interactive content and other enhancements for container fields
              Answer ID: 10245Last Updated: Apr 04, 2012

Products
                        FileMaker Pro12.x
                        FileMaker Pro Advanced12.x

General Notes for interactive containers

•                     
                                         You cannot work interactively with containerfields that are in portals.

•                
              •                     
                                         If you drag multiple files into an interactive container, only the first file will be inserted.

•                
              •                     
                                         Insertion of OLE is not supported in FileMaker Pro 12; however, you can activate OLE objects that are in existing containerfields and save them to other formats.

•           

• 4. Re: Container Fields - differences between import and drag-and-drop
                MikeMcHugh_1

Thanks, everyone, for the information.

Mike McHugh