2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 4:00 PM by philmodjunk

Container fields - how to determine if a reference or photo?

miw

Title

Container fields - how to determine if a reference or photo?

I created a data base with some container fields for the intent of only storing the reference to the photo rather than ctully storing the photo in the database.  Unfortunately, when linking an item to the container field, I sometime forgot to toggle on the checkbox to "store only a reference to a file".  As a result, I actually stored those photos in the database.  Is there any way to determine which records I stored a photo in the continer versus a file reference? 

• 1. Re: Container fields - how to determine if a reference or photo?
          Sorbsbuster

I created a sample file with a PictureField (container) and a calculation field, PictureFieldPath = PictureFile, result as text.  When the container has an embedded image the calculation field shows the file name.  When it is a reference it starts with Size = etc, and is followed by a lot of other info.

I would guess you could create a similar calculation field and search on it (for "size".  It would be a tad unfortunate if one of your images was named 'Size...').

If you think there are only a few of one sort or the other you could export the contents of the PictureField and search for one type or the other, and re-find them manually. only

• 2. Re: Container fields - how to determine if a reference or photo?
            philmodjunk

I use valuecount ( containerfield )

If it's an embedded file, count will be 1. If it's by reference, an inserted picture will return 3 and and inserted file will return 2. Inserted objects (windows only feature) will return 1 also, so you may want to include a different test if that's a possibile issue.