1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 6:15 AM by philmodjunk

Container fields -Word and excell files stored by reference on server hosted FM13 files

mchancevet@gmail.com

Title

Container fields -Word and excell files stored by reference on server hosted FM13 files

Hello,

I am currently developing a solution for ~5 users. Last week our IT dept (university) finalized installation of FM13 Server for our use. I have successfully installed one of the critical files and accessed it from multiple terminals. Unfortunately word and excel files that I have stored as reference in container fields ( I need to be able to double click to open) on one terminal are inaccessible from another (file not found).

•           I suspect the relative path is different for each terminal ?
      •      
      •           The container files are hosted on an external server but it is a different server to the one the FM13 file is located on. I had imagined the relative pathway would be the same for each terminal.
      •      
      •           Will I have to relocate all files to folders on the FM 13 server host server?
      •      
      •           Can you launch a container file using a script step and access the filepath with a  get function?

Thanks,

Morgan

• 1. Re: Container fields -Word and excell files stored by reference on server hosted FM13 files
          philmodjunk

Each user's computer has to be set up to mount/map to the folder where the files are stored and in exactly the same way so that the file path entered in the container field is valid from the context of each such computer. If you have a mixed shop of both mac and windows systems, this will be a problem since file paths on Mac systems start with a volume name and start with a drive letter in windows.

I recommend that you not use "by reference" container fields. Replace them with container fields that use external storage so as to simply your references to these files. There are other ways to open a copy of these files on each server that do not use a double click, but which do work with external storage type containers.