1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 9:42 PM by philmodjunk

Container Fields and Previews - Can you drop in Email Messages?

beano129

Title

Container Fields and Previews - Can you drop in Email Messages?

Hi all, 

I'm just contemplating what I should do in terms of using a container filed. 

first Question. Can you drop email messages straight in from outlook? 

If so, can you then sort the records by date and have a little preview window of the message body or would you need to double click and open it up? 

If not, could you drop .pdf files into container fields and then preview them if needed? 

I've not had a chance to sit and speak to the intended user yet but essentially i'm building a database that'll be predominently web used and at a desktop computer so I'm wondering what would be the easiest way to allow the user to store info and then get quick assess to read it - i just need to understand whether emails are ok or it's its better being .pdf. 

Thanks very much 

Rich

• 1. Re: Container Fields and Previews - Can you drop in Email Messages?
          philmodjunk

The whole purpose of Container fields is to store files or a reference to them so they can certainly store PDF files. They could store an email if you can access it as a separate file.

But there are significant limitations to using container fields in web publishing environment. Mainly, you can't upload a file to a container field through your browser. There is an add on application, SuperContainer that can add that capability, so research web publishing and this add on application before committing to the project.