1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2015 6:25 AM by philmodjunk

Container Files

Mark_M

Title

Container Files & External Storage

Environment = FM 12 Advanced / FM 12 Server

Currently scripts load documents (PDF) into a container field via insert the file.  If the container field already has a file in it, then that file is over-written.  During development I've just used internal storage.  But as I get ready to deploy the final solution I'm weighing internal v. external storage.

With external storage what happens?  When a replacement document is loaded to a container that already has a document in it, Is the external file deleted from the contain and the external storage location and then replaced by the new file?  Since file names include a date/time stamp no two files will have the same exact name.  Or do I have to explicitly delete the per-existing file (if one exists) prior to loading the new file so that "orphaned" files are not left on the external server storage location?

>>>>

• 1. Re: Container Files & External Storage
          philmodjunk

The container field will certainly replace the old reference with the new. I would assume that the same happens in the external folder. This should be pretty easy to check. Set up a test file on your computer with a local folder as the external storage location and run a few tests. Let us know if you get any unexpected results.