4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 11:26 AM by etripoli

container has a reference path to a file?

coni

Title

container has a reference path to a file?

I'm trying to store an address to a file somewhere, what kind of field should I use? I don't actually want the file stored in the container, but instead have it reference to another place on my computer so I can click and open it, edit, save, etc.

Thanks in advance. 

• 1. Re: container has a reference path to a file?
          mrvodka
             You can insert it into a container field. There will be a checkbox to ahve it as a reference. Keep in mind that on a shared system, a remote user will not know what your local path to the file is. In those cases, you will want to use a commond share directory.
          • 2. Re: container has a reference path to a file?
            davidanders

There is File: paths and filemac: paths and filewin: paths

These paths can be relative - meaning the database and referenced files (pictures or PDFs or etc) are in the Filemaker folder or subfolder (directory or subdirectory) or subsubfolder (subsubdirectory)

IF the location is NOT in the Filemaker folder, it must be defined as an ABSOLUTE path

The paths can be absolute (meaning the path goes from HD (or server) to folder (directory) to subfolder (subdirectory) to possible subsubfolder (subsubdirectory) to filename.ext

Absolute paths can be local (on your computer) or remote (on a server or network drive)

You can make a set of fields for file: and filemac: and filewin:

PathHD is the harddrive or servername

PathDir (or PathFolder) is the top enclosing folder or directory

PathDir2 is the next enclosing folder or directory

ETC (keeping the files near the top level of the harddrive or server is smart)

PathFileName is the name of the file.

These Global Fields apply to all the referenced files (PathFileName is not Global)

A calculation field concantenates the Global fields and filename to the container path.

Thus if the location of the referenced files is changed - to another folder or another server or another harddrive, only one or two or three Global fields need to be changed to change all the paths for referenced fields.

Relative

The path to a target file specified from the current database’s location. If the current database is opened remotely, the path starts from the local FileMaker Pro directory

file:directoryName/fileName

filemac:directoryName/

filewin:../fileName

Absolute Full local or remote (Mac OS)

The absolute path to a target file or folder, either local or on a remote volume, beginning at the top level of the file system

filemac:/volumeName/directoryName/fileName

filemac:/volumeName/directoryName/

Full local (Windows)

The absolute path to a target file or folder in Windows, beginning at the top level of the file system

filewin:/driveletter:/directoryName/fileName

filewin:/driveletter:/directoryName/

EXAMPLE Drive C: in directory “MyDatabase” in subdirectory “Images” contains images or files (MyFileName01 eg.)

filewin:/C:/MyDatabase/Images/MyFileName01

filewin:/C:/MyDatabase/Images/

Full remote (Windows)

The absolute path to a target file or folder on a Windows volume shared using Windows file sharing

filewin://computerName/shareName/directoryName/fileName

filewin://computerName/shareName/directoryName/

FileMaker Network

The network path to a shared FileMaker Pro file

fmnet:/hostIPaddress/fileName

• 3. Re: container has a reference path to a file?
              coni
                 how does this relate to when I just put a reference to a file in the container? do I have to specify the path?
              • 4. Re: container has a reference path to a file?
                etripoli

When you insert a file into a container field, checking the 'store reference' box on the popup window asking you to choose the file, Filemaker will then store the path to the file in the container.  If you want to see this value,  create a calculation field that contains: "getvalue ( container_field, 2 )"