11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 8:15 AM by philmodjunk

Container in Portal

leonaisse

Title

Container in Portal

Hi

My database has a document store that uses a container field and a fileType to store several different types of files. I'm using a portal to filter the results so for instance I only get fileType="A" in Layout A. When I drag a new file to the portal the first record always gets overwritten, whats the best way to filter results and add new documents to my document store table.

Thanks

leonaisse

• 1. Re: Container in Portal
          philmodjunk

Please describe the relationship that makes the portal possible and the design of your layout.

In particular, are you dragging to a container field located inside the portal or present on the layout, but outside the portal?

If dragging to the container field in the portal, to which portal row are you dragging? Have you enabled "allow creation of records via this relationship" and are dragging to the blank "add" row in your portal?

• 2. Re: Container in Portal
            leonaisse

Hi PhilModJunk

The layout shows records from TableA and the Portal is from TblDocStore, "allow creation of records...." is checked. The portal records are filtered and the Number of Records is 1 so when i first enter the layout the container should be and is empty. I then want to drag a file into the container but this seems to update the first row of TblDocStore rather than add a new record. The first portal row isnt visible in the layout because of the filter. Im guessing that I need some kind of script to go to portal row (the blank add row). This is confusing me because my filter ensures i dont have any populated Portal rows and i am presuming the only visible row is the blank add row, but when I add my file it updates the first row in the table.

Confused.

Thanks

Leonaisse

• 3. Re: Container in Portal
              philmodjunk

What "filter" are you describing? As a test, if you remove the filter, what changes in appearance and behavior take place?

Are you sure that you are dragging to a container field defined in TblDocStore and not TableA?

• 4. Re: Container in Portal
                leonaisse

HI PhilModJunk

Yeah its definately a filtering issue. My calculation in the filter is DocStore::FileType = "A". A related record of filetype A exists but doesnt show?

Thanks

Leonaisse

• 5. Re: Container in Portal
                  philmodjunk

Is the FileType field specified as a field of type number or text in manage | Database | Fields?

• 6. Re: Container in Portal
                    leonaisse

Its Text | indexed?

• 7. Re: Container in Portal
                      philmodjunk

Then I'd double check to make sure that the value in FileType is really the single letter A.

• 8. Re: Container in Portal
                        leonaisse

Hi PhilModJunk

All seems correct, I've added a filetype field into the portal row and its definately the correct value. Could it be somekind of string comparison issue? I've tried to trim it for leading and trailing spaces, checked the case. Any other ideas?

Thanks

leon

• 9. Re: Container in Portal
                          philmodjunk

text comparisons are not case sensitive in FileMaker Pro (but are in ExecuteSQL() )

This is such a simple portal filter, I can't think of any other reasons why the filter is omitting the related record. Am I correct that the record appears when you remove the filter?

• 10. Re: Container in Portal
                            leonaisse

Hi Phil

yes it does appear and when I add FileType to the portal row. It lists it exactly as i specify it in the filter. I'm confused too. I've gone back over everything looking for obvious mistakes also.

I'll keep trying but if you can think of anything...... :)

Thanks for your help so far on this and other posts.

Leonaisse

• 11. Re: Container in Portal
                              philmodjunk

and when I add FileType to the portal row. It lists it exactly as i specify it in the filter.

What does that mean?

I thought you were saying that the record did not appear in the filtered portal when it should...