1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 29, 2014 8:30 AM by philmodjunk

Containers and related tables

SkipGilleland

Title

Containers and related tables

I am wanting to capture videos of athletes at various times thruout the season.... beginning, middle and end, to show improvement.  I currently have a layout that has 9 seperate containers (3 for beginning, 3 for middle and 3 for end).

I think there is a better solution from what I have read in a forum on using related tables to do this..is that correct?  If so, can someone point me in the right direction on how to do that?

Ideally, I would like to be able have one container, add videos to that container and tag them with (Beginning, Middle, End) and then have a portal show all of them.

Volleyball_Tryouts__db00535_worldcloud_com_.png

• 1. Re: Containers and related tables
          philmodjunk

You could use a portal to a related table for your videos, but the end result may be very similar to what you have here. There may not be a dramatically obvious advantage to using a related table if you always need to record 9 videos for each athlete. The related table provides flexibility--you will no longer be limited to 9 videos per athlete so that is an improvement over the 9 container fields, but you'll have to decide if that's an improvement that you can actually use.

Atheletes-----<Videos

Atheletes::__pkAtheleteID = Videos::_fkAtheleteID

A field in Videos can be defined with a value list and used to specify "Season Star"; "Mid Season", or "Season End".

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained