1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 12:15 PM by philmodjunk

Containers and selecting which image appears in a layout

ijontichy

Title

Containers and selecting which image appears in a layout

I'm working with several hundred film clips and I have a variety of still frames representing these clips.

And I have a table for these images that relate via  a matched serial number into another layout.

What I'd LOVE to do is be able to script it such that the container in this other layout would show the picture of my choice rather than just Image 1.

Any thoughts?    I don't want to have 5-6 identical layouts where the only difference is which image is portaled into the layout.   But if that's what's necessary, it gets me closer.   Ideally, I'd be able to pick the MOST representative frame and have that choice stick and show up in several layouts.

Essentially, I wish there was a way to script / portal a container.   If there's one and I simply don't know it, I will be grateful when the blinders are removed.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Containers and selecting which image appears in a layout
          philmodjunk

There's actually quite a few different ways to make this happen. I'll briefluy descript 2. One method, a filtered portal, requires FileMaker 11.

With a filtered portal, you can add a field to your layout for selecting the specific clip with a script trigger on this field to run a script that refreshes the window to force the portal to update. A fliter expression compares the ID number of the image record you selected in this field to the ID number of the related image records to control which image is visible.

By creating a relationship that includes both the vidoclip record's serial number and this same type of added "filter field" you can just add the image container field from the related table and selecting/entering an image ID number brings up the selected image.