2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2015 8:10 PM by TKnTexas

Content Management

PhilipIrving_1

Title

Content Management

We have a current Filemaker database we use to log and track data on the progress of jobs in the field based on a customised "Time Billing" starter solution which is evolving as we get more familiar with Filemaker capabilities.

We have historically stored the numerous documents and evidence photos associated with each job in a separate file system on the server. Staff find relevant documents by eyeballing the file or folder names looking for the Job number.

I looked at adding a new tab in the existing Time billing solution with a portal containing records allowing the storing on "n" relevant documents but once loaded the documents cannot be viewed or double clicked to open. Exporting to read a PDF seems like a lot of fiddling around taking more time than just eyeballing the documents in the file system folders.

I have looked at the Content Management starter solution and it looks great for dragging and dropping and scrolling through pdf documents right in the window in FileMaker.

I am wondering if a plausible simple solution for us to link relevant documents to each job for the future would be to somehow link a Content Management table to each Job in the Time Billing Table?

How would I go about integrating the Content Management view into a tab associated with the individual job?

• 1. Re: Content Management
          philmodjunk

If you are storing PDF documents in container fields and you are using at least FileMaker 12, you can read the PDF right in the container field. You even open a window with a single button click to a layout where the container field fills most of the screen for easier reading and close the window when you are done. You would optimize the field for interactive content to make it possible to read each of the pages of the PDF. Interactive container fields do not work inside a portal, so you have to use a field not located inside your portal row for this purpose.

Other document types would need to be exported/opened in many configurations but this can be scripted to take place with a single button click and you can export the copy to the temporary folder on your computer and then not have to be concerned with multiple copies of your files cluttering up the computer as these exported copies will not persist.

If, on the other hand, you insert them as files with the "store a reference" option into container fields that are not set up for external storage from a properly shared directory, you can indeed double click the container field (if it is not optimized for interactive viewing) to open the original copy of the file in your system's default application.

• 2. Re: Content Management
            TKnTexas

What Phil said.  I am using FileMaker Pro 13 to manage scanned PDFs.  The Adobe reader shows on the container field to print the page or pages we need.  Has worked very well.    As I am still trying this, as is my department with regards to scanning the receiving documents, I am using to import the PDFs and not the reference.  The permanent location has yet to be determined.