5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 12:07 PM by RobertDaines

Content Management Thumbnails

RobertDaines

Title

Content Management Thumbnails

Greetings! I am a former Bento user now learning FMP13 and I am trying to "reverse engineer" the Content Management thumbnail layout. I would like to incorporate this type of layout into my music collection databases. Would someone tell me if the thumbnail layout represents what is called a "horizontal portal"  or is some other method being used? TIA

• 1. Re: Content Management Thumbnails
          philmodjunk

I just opened the layout and went to layout mode for a quick check.

A horizontal portal is what I would have used, but it's not what they used. They used individual repetitions of a repeating field--I don't consider that the best option here, but maybe the developer knew something I have yet to learn such as maybe a layout that updates faster when moving through pages of these thumbnails.

I can't yet reverse engineer all the details shown--there's a badge that I don't recognize, for example, but the objects on the layout combine conditional formatting with the new "Hide Object When" feature found in the Inspector's data tab to control object visibility and performance. (The little eye badge identifies an object with this new setting.)

• 2. Re: Content Management Thumbnails
            philmodjunk

OK, the new badge I didn't recognize (blue rounded rectangle identifies these container repetitions as buttons. The repetition number is passed as a script parameter...

• 3. Re: Content Management Thumbnails
              RobertDaines

Wow, thank you for such a detailed reply.

I ended up making a grid of 18 portals (6 x 3). I can view the first 18 records in my music collection but now I am trying to figure out how to advance to the next 18. I don't need any kind of filtering of records, I just want to scan through the collection page by page.

• 4. Re: Content Management Thumbnails
                philmodjunk

Yet filtering the records is one option for "scanning page by page". You can update the filters to show different subsets of your total group of related records to move from "page to page".

It's also possible to set up a list view layout where each record is one row of thumbnails in a "horizontal portal". then scanning from page to page might be as simple as vertically scrolling your layout or by clicking buttons that pull up different found sets of records...

• 5. Re: Content Management Thumbnails
                  RobertDaines

Again, thank you for the reply. I have been reading some of your earlier postings on the subject and the scripting is just over my head. Hopefully, I can revisit this problem when I have learned a bit more. Also, the Content Management Layout seems to work very well but I have no idea how to incorporate this type of layout into my database, maybe one day.