2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 1:55 PM by TuxfordC

Contents of Tables.

TuxfordC

Title

Contents of Tables.

As a relative newbie to FM, I'm writing a small database to keep track of periodic donations to a non-profit group.  As these donations may be claimed for tax exemptions the database must retain data for at least seven years and I am womderinghow best to structure the Tables. For a start  there is onefor names, addresses etc of the donors. This is linked to a related table containing dates and amounts through a common ID number field.  I need the ability to extract totals, averages for individuals, or the whole group over various time periods. The calculations for these extracts, and the printing are no great problem (I programmed in Pascal for over 30 years) but I  would some guidance on how to deal with the extra fields used in these calculations, to keep the overall database from getting too big.  Do I create another Table to hold fields for totals, averages etc. or should they be added to the  dates/amounts table?

Thanks,

TuxfordC

• 1. Re: Contents of Tables.
          philmodjunk

The key is to define a small number of summary fields in your donations table and then set up one or more summary report layouts based on the donations table with fields included from the donors table as needed to supply donor information.

You can perform finds and sorts to manipulate the found set to get quite a few different reports.

Here's a tutorial on summary reports that you may find useful: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

If you have any question about that tutorial, please use "Post A Answer" to post them here, not in that thread as threads of that age no longer automatically appear in the Recent Items list if you post a comment to them (and thus, I am unlikely to notice any comments posted to it).

• 2. Re: Contents of Tables.
            TuxfordC

Many thanks Phil, I was thinking that way and it is great to have one's wonderings confirmed.

TuxfordC