6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2009 5:21 PM by comment_1

Continuous Backup of ALL Records

Hagar_1

Title

Continuous Backup of ALL Records

I am apparently losing records on my Filemaker 5 delivery order database.  I am using Vista 32bit Home Premium, SP1.  Very much a beginner in database programs but I am not afraid of Filemaker.  It is very user friendly.  Addicting, even.

My problem:  Whenever an order comes in, my dispatcher creates a new record.  At the end of the month we export all the records from that month to an archive file.  There may typically be 300 records per month.  We frequently have to change orders or delete orders.  It seems that we sometimes go back to change a record but it is missing.  Both dispatchers claim they did not delete it.  My truck then does not show up and we get an angry phone call.  Is it possible to set it up so that records are never deleted, but MOVED to an "archive" file somewhere?  One at a time?  That way if we realize a record is missing we will always have a backup copy.  I know I can export but it exports all records.  I just want the button to move that one record to the archive then delete the record.

I am willing to upgrade to a newer version if needed but I like the simplicity of version 5.  I have a second wine database with 1100 records and never lost one yet, that I know of.  This particular database has had 24,098 new records over the years.  Most were pricing calls and were deleted, the rest are exported as a group monthly to a new file.

I hope I gave enough information.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Continuous Backup of ALL Records
          philmodjunk

Two suggestions.

1) Use password settings to prevent other users from deleting records. You will be able to open with a full access password to delete records.

2) If you want a record by record back up, here's a way we use with invoices.

In the primary file:

#isolate current record in found set of one record.

Show all records

Omit record

#Perform import records script in backup file

Perform script [external]

In the backup file:

Import Records [Restore]

Since both files will hold the same data, you can create your back up file by saving a clone (no records) of your current file and then adding the import records script to it.

Final comment: FMP 5 may be simpler, but it's much less capable overall and its days are truly numbered. The day is coming when you won't be able to get a new computer that will run it. We've recently upgraded from 5.5 to 10, partly for that reason.

• 2. Re: Continuous Backup of ALL Records
            comment_1

Hagar wrote:
            Is it possible to set it up so that records are never deleted, but MOVED to an "archive" file somewhere?

I believe it would be best to mark records as "deleted" (or archived) and leave them in place. Just make sure all your finds automatically omit archived records (in version 7 and higher, this can be done by denying user access to them - I am not sure about version 6).

• 3. Re: Continuous Backup of ALL Records
              Hagar_1

Thanks, guys, that was fast.  It looks like I might as well upgrade; Filemaker 7 is available for about $300 and so is 10, so I guess I will jump in and get the latest.  Thanks, Phil.  I just hope it ins't too intimidating!

I think marking the records as "deleted" is the most elegent solution.  I assume that once I mark a record as such, it will no longer show up in searches unless I log in as a different user and password?

• 4. Re: Continuous Backup of ALL Records
                comment_1

Hagar wrote:
                I assume that once I mark a record as such, it will no longer show up in searches unless I log in as a different user and password?

Yes - if you deny privileges to records marked as deleted. You should also make sure users cannot show all records - though in worst case, they will see a bunch of records with <no access> over them. And, of course, don't let them delete records...

• 5. Re: Continuous Backup of ALL Records
                  Hagar_1

It's ordered!  Version 10, thanks guys.  I also ordered "The Missing Manual" book which was highly rated.

A quick question:  I use an Excel calendar spreadsheet to graphically show the deliveries at a glance.  Double entry, I know.  All the calender shows is date, time, delivery city, and cubic yards (of concrete).  I use that to try to route trucks as efficiently as possible.  Can I make a calendar with Version 10 to do this?  I kiind of doubt it....  it looks like Access might, but I am not about to go there.  Thanks!

• 6. Re: Continuous Backup of ALL Records
                    comment_1

Hagar wrote:
                    All the calender shows is date, time, delivery city, and cubic yards (of concrete).  I use that to try to route trucks as efficiently as possible.  Can I make a calendar with Version 10 to do this? 

Most likely yes - though it's not a simple undertaking. I'd have to know more about what exactly the calendar shows to say for sure.