1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 8:18 AM by philmodjunk

Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5

DeerwoodTechnologies

Title

Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5

15/16" x 3.5" labels, Okidata Microline Turbo 390 24-pin dot matrix printer

Oldest computer physically crashed.  Old, but functional, software and G3 computer are what we have available and need to get working.

Old environment: Max OS 8.x, Filemaker Pro 5.5, serial-->centronix printer connection, Print Magic 3rd party software

Approx. 2000 address labels successfully printed 10/page (remember from print preview) and skipped the 11th label on the continuous form.  The next 10 labels printed (aligned correctly) beginning on the 12th label, skipped the 22nd label, the next 10 began on the 23rd label and so on...

Not sure of page setup settings in File Pro, but Print Magic appeared to have control of the form definition (and maybe the page dimensions)

New environment: Mac OS X, Filemaker Pro 5.5, ethernet-->centronix (AXIS Office Basic print server) connection, CUPS defined printer

Have tried unsuccessfully to find page size and/or top&bottom margin settings to print as before.  While changes to page setup affect "logical" (print preview) labels/page, something somewhere seems to have a 10.5" page height defined and changes to margin settings seem to have little effect other than to logical labels/page.  This was evident in many, incremental and measured changes/tests, but also when (as recommeded in FMP documentation for continuous form labels) we defined page size to the dimensions of 1 label w/no top or bottom margins.  Everything looked great in print preview - 1 label/page with outstanding alignment on the page.  Result was an eject from top of continuous form to 1st printed label of 10.5" and another 10.5" from 1st address line to next label's 1st address line.

Any help or insights would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
          TSGal

Deerwood Technologies:

Thank you for your post.

I know your labels are 15/16" tall, but the key is the measurement from the top of the first label to the top of the second label.  Actually, what is the measurement from the top of the first label to the top of the eleventh label.  This spans 10 labels, so if the measurement is 10", then you can use the Page Setup for US Letter.  This would skip the 11th label, 22nd label, etc.

If this is the case, then make sure the Body is set for 1".  Also, go to Preview Mode (View menu) and see if 10 labels print per page, or if 1 label prints per page.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
            DeerwoodTechnologies
               I can set the page to US Letter, but don't see where to set the Body to 1".  I assume it's in Layout view somewhere... Can you be specific as to where/how to do that?  Thank you, Jim/
            • 3. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
              TSGal

Deerwood Technologies:

To set the Body to 1", do the following:

1. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".

2. Pull down the View menu and select "Object Info".  This displays a small dialog box with a bunch of numbers.

3. Click where it says "Body", and the numbers will change in the "Object Info".

4. In the bottommost box of "Object Info", is the measurement for the height of the Body.  It should read 1.000 inches.  If not, enter 1.000 and press tab.  If the value won't change to 1.000, then you need to move some fields upwards (but not touching the header), and then slide the Body up as far as possible.

5. Once you have successfully moved the Body to 1.000, pull down the View menu and select "Preview Mode".  This is how the labels will print on 11" long paper.  You should see 10 labels down the page.

If you continue to have difficulty, then create a new layout (from the Layouts menu in "Layout Mode" ) and set the label height to 1 inch.

Please keep me posted with your progress. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                DeerwoodTechnologies

Changed page setup to US Letter.  Verified that body height was set to 1".  

All body settings/dimensions (none manually change):

left margin: 0.250 in

right margin: 0.250 in

top margin: 8.250 in

bottom: 1.250 in

width: 8.000 in

height: 1.000 in

Preview mode does display 10 labels, down the page.

Printing 3 pages results in 1st and 3rd pages of 10 labels appear properly aligned.  Distance between first line of 10th label and first line of 11th label is 1.5 in. (same for first line of 20th label and first line of 21st label).  

What's controlling the inter-page gap?

Thanks in advance, Jim/ 

• 5. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                  DeerwoodTechnologies

Corrected body dimensions:

left margin: 0.250 in

top margin: 0.250 in

right margin: 8.250 in

bottom: 1.250 in

width: 8.000 in

height: 1.000 in

• 6. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                    TSGal

Deerwood Technologies:

It appears that you may have a shorter page length than US Letter.  I don't know if there is a 10.5" page length.  You can try A4 or A5, which I understand is a little longer in page length.  You will have to test it out.  If you can't find one suitable, then you may have to print one page at a time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                      DeerwoodTechnologies

So, where is the "real" page length defined?

Within FileMaker, I've tried different custom page setups (lengths, margins) and am willing to try any / all preset page definitions if there's a chance they'll work.  As I mentioned, minor changes to page length and margin seem to have little or no effect on the inter-page spacing.  Also, beyond a certain point, changes to page length and margin affect the # of labels/page.  Is there something in the CUPS subsystem for this printer that's overriding what FileMaker is specifying?

Printing 2000 labels, one page at a time, each week is not a workable solution.

Thanks,

Jim/

• 8. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                        TSGal

Deerwood Technologies:

FileMaker does not control the page length.  That is controlled by the operating system.  If your printer driver does not include a continuous form option, then we need to find a page length that will work for you.  Interestingly, if you set the length to 1", and 10 labels are printing correctly, then the paper size of US Letter should work.  Have you tried contacting Okidata to see if there is an updated printer driver?  Other users may be using the same type of printer to print labels, so you may want to contact Okidata about the correct settings.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                          DeerwoodTechnologies

I have worked with Okidata technical support this morning (even their Mac folks) and they've assured me we're using the correct/current print driver and hardware emulation mode (EPSON 24-pin series CUPS v1.1 and EPSON LQ).  We've also verified that the page length in the printer's firmware is set to 11".  They're pointing me back to the application software and it's page setup.  

No matter what page setup we define or use (custom or US Letter), the subsequent pages' first line prints 10.5" from the first line of the previous page's first label.

Is there possibly a bug in the OS X version of FMP 5.5?  We installed from the CD and never installed (or checked for) updates, assuming the version was so old, none would be available...

Still flustered...

Jim/ 

• 10. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                            etripoli

One thing I have found frustrating/irritating, is that if you define a normal US Letter size in Page Setup, with 0 margins, and define a layout with only a Body part, and make it 1" high, FM will only print 10 records down.  It seems that it somehow adds a single pixel to the height of each part.

That said, if you're wanting to print 10 labels per page, that may be why you're seeing the 11 label print 10.5 inches from the first.  Try adding a small footer to the page.

• 11. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                              DeerwoodTechnologies
                                 To do this, we would add a 1/2" Footer part to the layout?
                              • 12. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                                etripoli
                                   Possibly even less.  Even though you are doing continous form printing, I'm thinking that FM is actually sending an entire page at a time - especially if that is how you have the Page Setup defined.  It is possible to define a custom paper size with a page height of 1", but I don't think that is what you want to accomplish.
                                • 13. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                                  DeerwoodTechnologies
                                     Yes, I tried the 1" page size.  One address printed every 10.5 inches.
                                  • 14. Re: Continuous form label printing problem Filemaker Pro 5.5
                                    philmodjunk

Deerwood Technologies wrote:
                                    Yes, I tried the 1" page size.  One address printed every 10.5 inches.

A custom paper size set in the printer driver or in filemaker?

We print receipts on NCR forms in an OKIData dot matrix printer and print on a custom (less than 11") page size. We had to set this in the printer driver so that the custom page size was available in the printer page size dialog--right along with letter and the other standard settings.

I think this is the "custom page size" that etripoli is suggesting.

Note that the "page size" doesn't "stick". Our cashiers have to manually select the custom size each morning when they launch their database session and we have the dot matrix printers connected directly to the computer and selected as the default printer.

1 2 Previous Next