4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2009 8:26 PM by mrvodka

Control Tabs

franky123

Title

Control Tabs

I am trying to create control tabs and put fields in them.  The problem is that I can't create a list on the tab when I create additional records, it just duplicates the entire tab.  I know I have to be missing something obvious so I would greatly appreciate some help.

• 1. Re: Control Tabs
          mrvodka
             What are you trying to achieve? A tab is a layout display tool for your record. Its not really meant for navigating between your fields for different records. Often when one asks for this type of interface, there is usually a structural issue.
          • 2. Re: Control Tabs
            franky123
               I have 26 different layout in a file, I switch between 12 of those very often.  Right now I have a Main Menu that has navigation buttons to all those layouts ( so that I don't have that many buttons on each layout ).  If I could have each one of those layouts on it's own tab I could switch to a different layout without going back to the Main Menu.  I believe that is the proper use for control tabs correct?  I have 85 customers that have anywhere from 2 - 40 records each.  I want to view records by customer ( or product or packaging etc. ) so I need to have them all show up on one tab in a list and what I get is 20 records that are not in a list fashion.  Thank you for the response I need all the help I can get.  Please reply.   
            • 3. Re: Control Tabs
              jbarnum
                 Instead of trying to do a list view, create a portal and insert that inside the tab control. So for example, if you want one tab that shows all invoices for the customer and another that shows all payments received from the customer, have two tabs: One with a portal of invoices and one with a portal of payments received.
              • 4. Re: Control Tabs
                mrvodka
                   Sorry I was on vacation and didnt have access constantly. However, I did see that Jesse took care of you well in my absence. I can only add to what he already stated. A tabbed navigation is good for grouping certain types of information together such as for your customers, perhaps you can have a tab with the customer info, another for the customer address, etc. Now when you have multiple related child records such as invoices, history, documents, etc etc, as Jesse said, you can put a portal on a tab panel to display the related records.