12 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2009 10:14 PM by tricias

Controlling data

tricias

Title

Controlling data

Hi,

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it was possible to have data move down the page so you could add latest data to appear first. I have a "Notes" field where I would like this to happen.  I also have separate "Date" and "Author" fields.  Would these need to be included in the "Notes" field for this to work or how should I do it?  Sorry if this is hard to understand.

From 'Learner grateful for any advice'

Also does anyone know why I always get the following message with nothing removed or changed? 

Please address the following to complete the message posting:
      • Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

• 1. Re: Controlling data
          KIDO

Hi tricias,

<!--            @page { margin: 2cm }           P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }        -->

This will put your note on top with a headline.

Create a button “Add Notes” and add a script with the following instructions:

Set Field [ YourTableName::Notes ; TextFont ( TextStyleAdd ( YourTableName::Date & “-” & YourTableName::Author ; Bold + Underline); “verdana”) & “¶¶” & YourTableName::Notes]

Set Selection [YourTableName::Notes ; Start Position: YourTableName::Notes ; “” ; 1 ;2]

If you do not wish the headline with date and author to appear, just ignore or disable the first instruction.

I hope this helps

Regards

• 2. Re: Controlling data
            philmodjunk
               If you are entering data in a list view, table or portal with each entry in a separate record, you can simply sort your layout in descending order by date. The most recent entry will then be listed at the top. There are ways to automate this with scripts. The details and options vary a bit depending on whether you are using FMP 10 or an earlier version.
            • 3. Re: Controlling data
              KIDO

Tricias wrote:

........ a "Notes" field where I would like this to happen.

That's what tricias is asking for in the post.

• 4. Re: Controlling data
                philmodjunk

KIDO wrote:

Tricias wrote:

........ a "Notes" field where I would like this to happen.

In which case you could just put the cursor at the beginning of the field and start typing right?

You and I are interpreting the original post differently. Tricias can straighten us out if he/she needs to. If my suggestion doesn't apply please ignore me.

• 5. Re: Controlling data
                  tricias

Hi,

Did I forget to mention that I am a very new learner with the emphasis on very new!  I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get your script to work but with no luck.  It kept telling me I had more "(" than ")" or vice versa and I could not see it.  It seemed to be objecting to the first colon ";" in the 'Set Field' script. I have FMP 8.5 on a Mac OS 10.4.11 by the way.  Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Regards,

tricias 

• 6. Re: Controlling data
                    tricias

Hi again,

Is it perhaps possible to send the file to someone to look at.  You may then understand a little better what I'm wanting.

Cheers,

tricias 

• 7. Re: Controlling data
                      KIDO
                         <!--            @page { margin: 2cm }           P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }        -->

Hi tricias,

I'm not familiar with Mac OS systems, but the expression should work, any way.

Try the following:

Menu / Scripts / Manage scripts...

Edit your script and follow these steps:

Select and disable your Set Field instruction in the script.(You can clear it later).

Select the command Set Field from the script steps menu under Fields.

Click the box “Specify target field” and select your “Notes” field.

Click on “Calculated result – Specify”.

In the calculation window type in the respective expression, selecting your table name and respective fields from left upper drop-down window, whenever YourTableName appears in the following instruction:.

TextFont (TextStyleAdd ( YourTableName::Date & “-” & YourTableName::Author ; Bold + Underline); “verdana”) & “¶¶” & YourTableName::Notes

Click OK.

Leave the other instruction as it is and below the above one.

Name and save your script

See how it works.

• 8. Re: Controlling data
                        tricias
                           Hi Kido and many thanks for your answer.  I managed to get it to work eventually.  Took a break to think about it first. :-) 
                        • 9. Re: Controlling data
                          TSGal

tricias:

A number of users have also received HTML errors when posting.  The only common denominator discovered is all of these errors occurred while using Safari.  However, I am using Safari and I have never encountered the problem.  Those users who switch to Firefox have reported that the problem no longer exists.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Controlling data
                            comment_1
                               I get the same message sometimes, and I am using Firefox.
                            • 11. Re: Controlling data
                              tricias

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your reply.  It's more an annoyance than anything else so I guess it will be one of life's mysteries for a while longer.

Cheers

tricias 

• 12. Re: Controlling data
                                tricias

Hi Comment,

Thanks for your reply.  How ironic that the reply I just sent to TSGal didn't do it and I haven't changed a thing!

Cheers

tricias