7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 9:41 AM by philmodjunk

Controlling where the drop down list appears

cbompart

Title

Controlling where the drop down list appears

I have three columns of data which all use the same drop down list and box, however when the drop down box is in the second column, the list appears on the left and it should appear to the right of the field. On the first Column there aren't  any problem soAny suggestions on how to keep the list always appearing to the right of the field?

• 1. Re: Controlling where the drop down list appears
          philmodjunk

Use a popover? If you put a drop down list formatted copy of this field in a popover, a script trigger on the field (which would no longer have this formatting) or setting the field up as a button, could open the popover and now you can pick the preferred deployment orientation releative to the popover button.

The button can be hidden always with a "Hide Object When" entry of True. The popover panel can be given an object name and the script trigger script or button action can use go to object to open the popover.

• 2. Re: Controlling where the drop down list appears
            cbompart

Now I forgot to mention that this functionality behaves good on the pc/mac, but on the iPad is where the issue occurs. Entering data in the middle of the three columns, the list falls to the  left and therefore blocks the questions that have to be answered. Is that the only alternative?

• 3. Re: Controlling where the drop down list appears
              philmodjunk

It's the only alternative, short of redesigning your layout, that gives you explicit control over where the list appears. Event then, this is only the preferred location--available space issues can still result in the popover location changing.

• 4. Re: Controlling where the drop down list appears
                cbompart

Im a little lost. I have about 30 columns which use the same values from the drop down list. just how would  i implement the popovers to take the place of that. Do i have to create new fields for each popover occurrence ? I don't know how to begin this. Help?

• 5. Re: Controlling where the drop down list appears
                  philmodjunk

That "30 columns" worries me. This doesn't sound like the optimum design for a Filemaker database in general and as an iOS layout design in particular.

But as I described in my first post, you would, while in layout mode, make a copy of the field on your layout. This gives you two field objects for the same field in your table. You put one inside a popover for editing purposes that you format with a value list and the other is the previous copy of this field that you can now set up as a button or give a script trigger. You can either place the popover button on top of the original field and make it transparent or you can use the object name method that I described earlier as a way to open the popover.

But you might want to consider using a Slide Control, or other layout design method to present the user with one column of data at a time with a way to move from column to column (such as by swiping the slide control) rather than by scrolling your layout to get to each column of these fields. (It's possible to set up a 3 panel slide control such that you can swipe through a literally unlimited number of columns or images with a bit of scripted "sleight of hand".)

• 6. Re: Controlling where the drop down list appears
                    cbompart

Im sorry not 30 columns but 30 fields...about 18 to capture data. Ok Thanks Ill try that today.. I will keep you posted.

• 7. Re: Controlling where the drop down list appears
                      philmodjunk

This still worries me if you are using the same value list in each. It does not sound like an optimum design as it sounds like you are using multiple fields where you should be using multiple related records.