1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 12:40 PM by philmodjunk

Converge multiple databases into one

mmccarty

Title

Converge multiple databases into one

Hello,

If you had multiple databases connected to each other, is there a way to easily combine them?  Is it possible to import table structure or layouts so that I don't have to recreate them?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Converge multiple databases into one
          philmodjunk

You can, but i wouldn't call it easy.

You can import tables and get the data and field definitions in one import--use the new table option.

You can copy and paste all the objects in a layout in one copy/paste operation.

You can import scripts

But, there are other parts of the process that can't be imported or copy/pasted:

Non-custom value value lists

Table occurrences and the relationships that link them to other table occurrences.

Also, since scripts can refer to layouts and layout objects and layouts can refer to scripts, you have to do it all in just the right order to avoid getting a layout with numerous buttons and script triggers that need to be "reconnected" before they work.

There is a 3rd party utility called FMMigrator--that is supposed to make this much easier to do. I haven't used it myself, but I'd definitely investigate it if I had another large "file merge" project at hand.