7 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2011 3:54 PM by philmodjunk

Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11

SummitTalent

Title

Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11

I need to convert an ACT! 2000 database to FM Pro 11.

The operating system I'm running is Windows XP.  I just got FM Pro 11, I have never used any previous versions of FM.  I'm completely unfamiliar with it.

Please help, spare no detail.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11
          philmodjunk

Do you know if Act has the ability to export data? Perhaps as an excel file, tab delimitted text or Comma separated text file?

If so, then you can import the data from such an exported file into FileMaker. This only imports the data, not any layouts or relationships between different tables of data.

Let me know if you can export from Act to a file and what file format and then I can respond in more detail.

• 2. Re: Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11
            SummitTalent

Act does have that ability.  I have exported the database as CSV file (when I open the file, it opens in Excel).

I really appreciate the help.

• 3. Re: Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11
              philmodjunk

From there you can start a new database in FileMaker and use Import Records to import the csv file into filemaker.

1. Select Import Records | File from the File menu.
              2. Select comma separated files in the file type drop down
              3. Find and open the CSV file for import
              4. Hopefully, your csv file includes the field names as the first row. If so, select "Don't import first record, contains field names".
              5. Select "New table" from the Target drop down so this import will create a new table for your imported data.
              6. Click Import

From there it's up to you as to what you do with this table of data. You'll need to design one or more layouts to allow you to work with the data in this table. You can open up Manage | Database to rename your table or to change the names or field definitions for your new table if needed.

• 4. Re: Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11
                SummitTalent

The CSV does not include field names.  Each contact in the database it condensed into a separate cell in the first column.  There are no field names.  Additionally there are numerous squares about the size of the text separating each word within the cell.

Can I work with this?  Do I need to export the ACT! database again a different way?  I exported the ACT database by going into ACT! => File => Dataexchange => Export => Changed file type to "Text - Delimited".

• 5. Re: Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11
                  philmodjunk

You can still import the data, it's just that fileMaker will now assign generic field names for each field when you use the New table option. You'll need to try this once and see what you get. For easier review of the imported data, select the table view option after importing.

• 6. Re: Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11
                    SummitTalent

FileMaker imported the file.  In each viewing option (table, list, or form), all of the data from each contact is consolidated into a single row.  Is there a way to avoid going through the six thousand rows to copy and paste the data into an appropriate fields?

• 7. Re: Convert ACT! 2000 database to Filemaker Pro 11
                      philmodjunk

Yes, there are scripts that you can create that will loop through the records and move the data for you. There's also a tool in the Records menu called Replace Field Contents which you may be able to use with the calculation option to move the data from one field into another.