6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 8:47 AM by philmodjunk

Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13

steve4640_1

Title

Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13

We just downloaded Filemaker 13 and were wondering how to convert Filemaker 12 file to version 13. Version 12 file seem to open fine in 13, but it is not clear if they convert as the extension stays as fmp12.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13
          philmodjunk

Just as FileMaker versions 7 through 11 used the same file format and file extension (.fp7). FileMaker versions 12 and 13 use the same file format and extension (.fmp12) so there is no conversion to a new file format needed.

• 2. Re: Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13

Hi Phil,

Quick question.

I'm about to upgrade to 13 and wanted to know after opening 12 files in 13, will my old 12 file now be able to use all the features such as encryption as in 13 so when I save it, it technically becomes no different to a new file I created from scratch in 13?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13
              philmodjunk

Since the file format does not change, that should be the case, but this is all early days so we may learn more as people explore different capabilities of the new system. I do recommend caution whenever a new release comes out. Early adopters often find that there are still unresolved issues with the new release waiting to be discovered. I don't recommend that you upgrade and embark on your next major project with it just yet. Better to wait a while, experiment with the new features and watch for reports in Report an Issue before making that commitment...

• 4. Re: Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13
                hschlossberg

As Phil said, FM 12 files can be opened by FM13 and vice versa; there is no "conversion" process.  

However, be advised that any FM13 features that are added to your scripts, layouts or calculations will NOT work in FM12.  For example, I have found that MOST (not all) of the new "appearance" controls (inner/outer shadows and padding) will appear properly for 12 users.  But object invisibility, popovers and slide tab controls will NOT work for 12 users and will either cause extra "unknown" objects (i.e. popovers) or will be missing sections altogether (i.e. slide tab control).

• 5. Re: Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13
                  drrehak

on a similar note:

will I be able to edit/publish my file for Webdirect using FM12?  I have a .fmp12 file hosted remotely on FMS12, but I am considering upgrading to a FMS13 server for the webdirect features.  All of my workstations/clients are using FM12.

• 6. Re: Convert Files from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13
                    philmodjunk

You would need FMS13 to use WebDirect. Since the file format is identical, a file created in FMP 12 should work for webDirect once you get a copy of FMS 13 installed.