1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 3:01 AM by LaRetta_1

Convert Record Data to multiple field data in one record.

brianmacinnes

Title

Convert Record Data to multiple field data in one record.

Hi All

I inherited a table where each specification for a Part Number was given an individual record. I want to create a table where there is one record for each Part Number and many fields in that record would contain the many specifications for the part.

Attached is the structure of the original table.

My first attempt was to create a new table with a relationship on part number. I need help coming up with a calculation to extract the specifications from multiple records to multiple fields. 

MT_DataList_Page_1.jpg

• 1. Re: Convert Record Data to multiple field data in one record.
          LaRetta_1

I'm afraid you've lost me.  There is no need to have a pk and fk of the same Id within a table - a simple self-join would work.  But it seems you want the STEPS turned into records and not necessarily the part itself? 

It appears that you are missing tables. I have no understanding why you have all those calculations when the result is exactly the same - MDL_Data Name.  But splitting records into fields or vice-versa requires scripting and it is best for you to provide your file with sample data or a new demo file showing the fields which need to be translated.  Simply, we need more information.