7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 7:37 AM by tomswell

Convert to Seperation Model

BrianWilliams

Title

Convert to Seperation Model

I have been working on a database for some time and just realized that in order to share the data on the internet, it has to be built using the seperation model concept.  Is there a way to tell my current database to start storing the data in a seperate file?  I only have test data so it need not be retained.  Is there another method to convert, or am I stuck starting from scratch?  I searched here on seperation model, but the search seems to not be working correctly.

• 1. Re: Convert to Seperation Model
          philmodjunk

While the separation model is an excellent design option for FileMaker, this is the first I've heard that you had to do that just to publish to the web. Don't think that's really true unless there's some other factor involved here...

To split your file, you have to do the split by hand, but it's not terribly difficult.

Make two copies of your file. I'll call them "Interface" and "Data" in this example:

Open Interface and go to Manage | Database | Relationships.

Double click a table occurrence (The boxes in this graph) and select add FileMaker Data Source from the Data Source drop down of the dialog that appears.

An Open File dialog appears, use it to find and open Data.

Select the table in Data that matches the data source table originally referred to in Interface by this Table Occurrence.

Repeat for each Table Occurrence until all refer to tables in Data instead of Interface.

This is all you have to do, but you can then clean things up a big by deleting the tables listed in the Tables tab of Interface as they will no longer be used. You can keep all the scripts and relationships defined in Data or you can delete all but those that must be part of the data file. (Calculation fields that refer to fields in other tables will still need that relationship. Some scripts set to run with "full access" must run in the data field...)

• 2. Re: Convert to Seperation Model
            BrianWilliams

"this is the first I've heard that you had to do that just to publish to the web. Don't think that's really true unless there's some other factor involved here..."

Maybe this is just due to my level of knowlege on the subject..  We have 4 people who work on this database (which is being redesigned), and we have the data file shared on a leased server.  Everyone has a licensed copy of fileMaker Pro 11 and connects to the data via file / manage external data sources.  I guess that this set up allows an administrator to make changes to the scripts and layouts and just distribute the .fp7 file.  I am not aware of another method of sharing the data.

In your answer, you say to make two copies of my mile - I'm assuming the .fp7 file.  In following your instructions, is there a new file containing the data created?  Our current data file does not have an fp7 extension as far as I can tell...

• 3. Re: Convert to Seperation Model
              philmodjunk

I am not aware of another method of sharing the data.

When sharing a file, it should be hosted from a server using either FileMaker or FileMaker server. Each user should then connect to this hosted file. If it's published to the web, they may use a web browser or you can use Open Remote from a copy of filemaker launched on your own computer or a copy of FileMaker Go on an iPad or iPhone. None of this requires splitting the data, though it's not a bad idea here. Some people do suggest putting a local copy of the front end file on the local machine and redirecting it's table occurrences to the back end file that is being hosted. It's certainly an option to consider, but I wouldn't take that approach myself unless I found through testing it out that doing so made the system respond quicker.

Your file does have a .fp7 extension on it if your are using it in a Windows system. That extension, however, may not be visible to you as there's a system setting that hides the extensions. All files created by FileMaker versions 7 through 11 use this same .fp7 extension.

On a Mac years ago, no such extensions where added to the file and you had to add that to the file names when moving the file to a windows system. I don't know if the latest OS versions have changed that or not.

In any case, the only two files involved are the two files you started with when setting one up as the back end and the other as the front end.

• 4. Re: Convert to Seperation Model
                BrianWilliams

Very interesting - "putting a local copy of the front end file on the local machine and redirecting it's table occurrences to the back end file that is being hosted"

This is our exact setup, and it is slow.  As I didn't set up the hosting, I'll have to look into this.  I'll put off doing this until then and keep working on the redesign.  I'd rather not split it if I don't have to.  As we do have licensed copies of FM for each user maybe we are doing it the hard way. 

Phil, as always, you are a wealth of information - thanks for your excellent help!

• 5. Re: Convert to Seperation Model
                  TafeLoursen

Thank You for Your help - Your answer solved my problem even this time

• 6. Re: Convert to Seperation Model
                    FrankBell

Where can I find information on setting up seperate data and progam files? Starting with no data, so no need to transfer data.

• 7. Re: Convert to Seperation Model
                      tomswell

I am  attempting to SEPARATE and I am having trouble with lookups especially and don't quite grasp what goes where ?.

I have web account with provided FM12 server and the  UI  client file is successfully pointing all its TOs to the server  data file.

I have read seemingly contradictory info and would like concise resolve.

1.   This is all you have to do, but you can then clean things up a big by deleting the tables listed in the Tables tab of Interface as they will no longer be used.

2.   In general relationships in the data file are needed for calculation fields. All other relationships (used for portals, layouts, scripts, etc…) go in the UI file.

I appears to me the above statements seem to contradict.

Even with the UI file  AND the data file containing all TOs and scripts lookups seem to be universally broken.

sure would be handy to not so laboriously set each TO data pointer individually .