1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2012 11:37 AM by JimMac

Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh

NaturSalus

Title

Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh

Hello,

FM is a crossplatform applicaton but I haven't been able to find directions on FM 12 User Guide about how to assure that a FM db made on a Windows OS based  computer will also run on a Mac OS based computer.

So, my question is how do I convert a FM db from a PC to a Mac system?

thanks,

natursalus

• 1. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
          hbrendel

It just works, there's nothing to convert.

You will have to install FileMaker Pro on the other computer of course.

• 2. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
            hbrendel

I have to admit: If there are functions in your db that refer to other files, i.e. images using a filepath, then you would have to assure that the scripts detect the platform, and do different things on Mac or Win.

See the documentation.

• 3. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
              hbrendel

Best thing:

Port your db and test, test, test...

• 4. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                NaturSalus

Hello hbrendel;

That's good news!

I intuitively thought it should be this way, but I had no way of testing it since my PC runs Windows OS.

My question has been prompted by the realization that when I open on my Windows OS based PC a FM file created by a Mac OS based computer, in addition to the FM database file there is always a MacOS folder. So, that made me think that perhaps my FM files created under Windows OS would need that folder for them to work on a Mac OS based computer.

Thanks,

natursalus

• 5. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                  hbrendel

I never saw this. Are you sure you're not talking about runtimes?

• 6. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                    NaturSalus

Sorry I misled you.

I never saw this. Are you sure you're not talking about runtimes?

No I am talking about just FM databases made on a Mac OS based computer

I have to admit: If there are functions in your db that refer to other files, i.e. images using a filepath, then you would have to assure that the scripts detect the platform, and do different things on Mac or Win.

This raises another question. What you are saying applies to container fields with pictures in them. What I mean is, if I have a database made under FM 11 that already contains filed-in records (pictures in a container field) so no external storage like under FM 12, do I have to worry about where they are stored?

• 7. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                      hbrendel

If they are stored internally, there's no problem. If you stored a reference to the picture(s), then you'll have to make sure that the pictures will be in the same relative place. I.e. in a subfolder 'images' that sits in the same folder as the db. When the pictures exist in a far-away place or on a server, then things are more complicated. There are many threads on this forum about this.

• 8. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                        NaturSalus

Okay, I get you.

Thanks,

natursalus

• 9. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                          JimMac

@hbrendel

For years now, Mac User can use...

Windows OS OR Mac OS  [boot camp]  ( old Apple commercial... PC mag said the fastest PC is a Mac  cool)

Window OS  AND Mac OS  in this case of dual operation a Mac Folder named MacOS is seen by Windows OS as a "network hard drive".

Therefore you can share files, pictures, media, etc,

Jim...

• 10. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                            philmodjunk

There ARE minor differences between the two platforms. These can require a few small adjustments especially when first using a file designed on a Mac on a Windows system. Thus, it is always a good idea to test the file on both platforms before allowing general users to have a go at it:

FileMaker 11 has an "insert object" menu option that uses OLE in windows that is not supported on Macs.

The "window inside of a window" interface for Windows systems can require additional scripting if you use the New Window Command while windows are maximized.

Text on a layout and data in fields require a bit more space, both vertically and horizontally on Windows than for Mac even though you are using the same "plain vanilla" font installed on both platforms. Thus, a layout designed on a Mac may have text or data that is "clipped" or "wrapped" in undesirable ways.

Print dialogs on Macs have a scaling percentage option not found in Windows systems. If your layout requires scaling to print correctly, you'll have to redesign the layout before it will print correctly from Windows.

• 11. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                              NaturSalus

Jim & Phil,

Thank you for the feedback.

For what I understand both an FM database and a runtime made under WIndows OS will run on a Mac OS without any problem.

It seems that an FM database and runtime made under Windows OS and opened under Mac OS will, in principle, require less adjustments than the other way around.

Certainly, testing the database and runtime on the Mac OS platform makes perfect sense, but how many users of Windows OS based system also have a Mac OS and viceversa? That is why its is so important to know what are the limits of  FM Inc claim that FM 11 Pro Advanced & FM 12 Pro Advanced are cross platform.

natursalus

• 12. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                                philmodjunk

The users of the runtime do not need both platforms but a developer that sells runtime solutions should indeed either own or have access to both systems, even if that means visiting your mother in law surprise for an evening, and using a temp intstall on her computer in order to test and tweak the solution on the "other platform" before formally releasing your solution for sale.

• 13. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                                  NaturSalus

Lucky you...

thanks,

natursalus

• 14. Re: Converting a FM database from PC  to Macintosh
                                    schamblee

A runtime created in windows will not run on a mac nor a mac runtime will not run on a pc.  You have to make a runtime file for the os that the app will run on.  iphone / ipad runtime is compatible with mac runtime but not with windows runtime. 

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5267/~/creating-royalty-free-runtime-solutions-with-filemaker-pro-advanced

From above link

"FileMaker Pro database files are cross-platform compatible. The FileMaker Pro Advanced Utilities for Mac OS and Windows are each platform specific, and each creates a runtime database for that platform only. So the actual runtime database must be created on the platform on which it is intended to be run."

1 2 Previous Next