3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 12:52 PM by philmodjunk

Converting Bento Files to Filemaker Pro

DennisMay

Title

Converting Bento Files to Filemaker Pro

In Bento I have Libraries for 2012 Accounts, 2013 Accounts and 2014 Accounts.  I'm setting up Filemaker Pro and want to import all of my business files into one Database in FMP12.  My question: Is it better to keep each file from Bento as a separate Table in FMP or should I combine 2012, 2013, 2014 into one table?

• 1. Re: Converting Bento Files to Filemaker Pro
          philmodjunk

The devil is always in the details, but in general, it's better to merge the data. That gives you more options in what you can do with this data in terms of reports and such.

• 2. Re: Converting Bento Files to Filemaker Pro
            DennisMay

Phil:

Thanks, for your reply.  The problem I'm having is trying to change the database to be relational, when it was a flat file. In addition because I'm not well versed in good account techniques, my files were very simple and consequently lack some fields and calculations to make them effective.  For example my accounts file (simple Invoice) showed customer, invoice date, amount due, paid date, amount paid, and balance.  Balance was just (amtdue-amtpd), which didn't show what customer owed for previous invoices not yet paid.  I really don't know how to set up an accounts receivable.  In I set up my tables for customers, products, line items, and invoices, that's it,  4 tables.  However when I look at something like FM Starting Point, they'll have 20 tables.  Can you show me a sample of an accounts receivable file that will keep track of what my customers owe and what they pay.

Thanks,

Dennis

• 3. Re: Converting Bento Files to Filemaker Pro
              philmodjunk

I do not have an example of an accounts receivable file to share.

What you can do is invest the time in learning more about FileMaker from one of the available sources of training material. FileMaker is a more complex system than Bento and it has its own tools for getting the job done.

Once you have imported your data into FileMaker, the resulting table(s) and layouts are readily modifiable and you can work with them to add the features that you need--including the needed match fields and relationships to take your DB from a flat file set up into a truly relational set of linked tables.