7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 4:40 PM by benjaminstorrier

Converting calculated field to permanent fields

mossman

Title

Converting calculated field to permanent fields

Is there a way to convert a calculated to a permanent field (saving the current value) and then ditching the calculated field?

I'm using Filemaker 8.5 on a Mac running OS 10.4.11 to manage a plant collection.  I originally numbered the specimens with a year and serial number, e.g. 2005-7, 2007-89 for the 7th plant collected in 2005 or the 89th plant collected in 2007.  "Year" and "serial number" are in separate fields.  I was dissatisfied with this and created a new_number field which, with a calculation, produced a new number, e.g 4501, 4891, etc. using the two values (year and serial number) in the old system.  The calculation is complicated, using the number of plants in each year.  Now I want to scrap the old system and just number the plants like this from now on: 5023, 5024, 5025, and so on.

So, I'd like to save the current calculated values in new_number and then delete the "year" and "serial number" fields.

Excel allows you to do this with the "paste special" function where you paste the result of a formula, not the formula.

My level?  I guess I am an "advanced beginner".