AnsweredAssumed Answered

Converting Date Formats to ISO compliant version - How?

Question asked by EvanEffa on Nov 15, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 by EvanEffa

Title

Converting Date Formats to ISO compliant version - How?

Sorry of this is too much a newbie question.  I am not planning on becoming a FM Pro programmer and would be most grateful for a little bit of hand-holding here. ( I have searched the forum for an answer without success...)

I use HanDBase on my iPhone to capture Patient care billing Data.  (FM Go is too slow.) I then take the HanDBase data & convert it to a CSV version of the dbase & import it into Filemaker Pro 11 giving me data that can be sent to my billing secretaries in a more acceptable format (I send them a pdf by email).  This works quite well except for a mixed set of dating formats. (I live in Canada where we are subjected to a wide variety of ambiguous dating formats which only complicates things.) 

Currently the 'Date of Service' field data is appearing as a proper date in the dd/mm/yyyy format. (FM Pro is importing this data properly and accurately BTW)  (The simple fix would be to get HandBase to capture the data in ISO compliant format but HanDBase does not support that format.)

Anyways, I would like to have FM Pro convert these dates into the ISO format (yyyy-mm-dd).  I would be happy to accept another calculation field; say "DateConvert" as the DateofService output which I can then configure to be the PDF output format.

I also have dates (Date of Birth) written into the Database from the Hospital database format  of ddMMMyyyy (e.g. 12May1957 ).  These appear as simple text in the database fields.  I would like to be consistent & have these dates appear in the ISO format of yyyy-mm-dd.

Could someone suggest a resource to show me how to do this or if it's not too much trouble, give me step by step instructions as to how to accomplish these conversion tasks?

(BTW: This will be an ongoing database in that new data is being entered all the time & needs to be converted as a repeating task.)

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

-evan

Outcomes