AnsweredAssumed Answered

converting excel file and connecting to another converted excel file

Question asked by HollyGiovannetti on Jul 17, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

converting excel file and connecting to another converted excel file

I have to excel files. One is a list of finished product our company makes, each with an individual item number. Then I have an excel file that inventories all the parts we use in the shop. These also have item numbers. I need to link one product to many item numbers, but most item numbers will go to many different products. Here are my problems. While all the inventory parts have individual numbers, they are not listed at all with which finished product they go into. My plan is to convert the files into filemaker, but I am not sure how to connect the finished product with the many parts that go into it. I know that I will need a table connecting the finished product and the parts inventory tables. I know that each has to have a parent key in there individual table and a child key in the middle connecting table. What I can't wrap my head around, is how to connect the many parts with the finished product. How to I go through each individual part and connect it to each finished product it is a part of?  

Outcomes