7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 7:21 AM by Heeter

converting filemaker 6 to new version.

Heeter

Title

converting filemaker 6 to new version.

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to successfully convert FM6Pro Db to FM11Pro11Adv trial. The FM6Pro DB is password protected.

I have tried generic user/passwords.

I have tried removing the original passwords,

I have read all and tried the examples the tech briefs for converting.

Nothing is working.

Fm11pro keeps asking for a user/password after conversion, and it won't let me get in.

I am willing to start with a fresh DB, but keep using the existing template only, without passwords. Is there a way to extract just the template without the data and passwords from FM6?

My company will purchase Fm11 only if I can figure this out.

Thanks

Heeter

• 1. Re: converting filemaker 6 to new version.
          applelakshan1

Hi

I had same Situation

what i did was

delete alla the paswords from FM 6

and create new user account in FM6

update it to FMP11

Use that user name . it worked for me

• 2. Re: converting filemaker 6 to new version.
            dumiya

Open FM

When the window open to asks for you Password Look at the top bar and note the account name - it may be the name of your computer (Mac) or what ever(PC). That is the account name.

In FM 11 use that name as the account name and then use the FM6 that works.  That should open the file.

In FM 11 we use an 'account name' and a' password'.  I think in FM 6 it used the "User" name automatically and a 'Password'.

Background:  In FM11 You have to supply the correct account name to open the file that where the problem lies for FM6 users.

You can try what was suggested above - I found it did not work welll for me

dumiya

• 3. Re: converting filemaker 6 to new version.
              dumiya

Sorry the reply was incomplete:

Open FM6

When the window open to asks for you Password Look at the top bar and note the account name - it may be the name of your computer (Mac) or who knows on a (PC). That is the account name.

Open  FM 11 use that name as the account name and then use the FM6 password that works.  That should open the file.

In FM 11 we use an 'account name' and a' password'.  I think in FM 6 it used the "User" name automatically and a 'Password'.

Background:  In FM11 You have to supply the correct account name to open the file that where the problem lies for FM6 users.

You can try what was suggested above - I found it did not work welll for me

dumiya

• 4. Re: converting filemaker 6 to new version.
                Ender

Heeter, I'm afraid it's not clear exactly what you did to try each technique.

See this recent thread here.

BTW, there's a good explaination about the differences between passwords in FM6 and below and accounts in FM7 and later in the Converting Databases from Previous Versions tech brief.

• 5. Re: converting filemaker 6 to new version.
                  Heeter

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations, and more ideas.

I spent the better part of the last four hours trying to get through, but it simply doesn't want to work.

Ender, I do have that tech brief already, and have gone through it, and tried the account/user/password recommendations.

Thanks again, for your help.

Is there a way that I can extract the templates from the FM6 Databases that I have, without carrying over the data and passwords. I really would like to continue using the template (it works fine within this office, has been around since 1996!), but willing to start a new db with fesh user accounts and data.

Thanks

Heeter 

• 6. Re: converting filemaker 6 to new version.
                    Ender

Perhaps something got corrupt with your passwords.

What you could do is copy each layout into a new FileMaker 6 file then convert that. 

If you need the fields too, that will be more tricky.  You do an Export to a new FileMaker Pro file, and it will retain all the field names, but the calcs will not go with it (those would have to be redone manually.)  Then copy & paste the layouts and the fields should appear correctly. 

Once the important stuff is moved into the new file, you can convert that to FM11, then rebuid the things you need.

• 7. Re: converting filemaker 6 to new version.
                      Heeter

Thanks Ender,

Will be working on that today.

This workaround should net me better results, the way you describe it.

Will post to let you know the results.

Thanks again,

Heeter