1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 6:25 AM by philmodjunk

Converting from Access - Creating Letters

ellat14

Title

Converting from Access - Creating Letters

I am new to Filemaker - converted from Microsoft Access and am trying to set up my database.

On my old Access database we had a "contact" button that took us into a list of letter types i.e contact bank, payment due, welcome letter etc etc and when you selected the letter (template) it opened up in Microsoft word with the clients details all pre filled.   We could then print the letter to post to the client and the type of letter and the date it was generated would be recorded in the clients details on the database.

Is there a way to do this from FM pro 13 using Pages (I have now switched to Mac so not using Word)  

thank you and please be basic with your reply as I am still trying to understand FM  laugh

• 1. Re: Converting from Access - Creating Letters
          philmodjunk

Don't know if you can use a merge export with Pages, but you may be able to do the entire job in FileMaker.

First, check out how to use Merge Fields to merge data from your database with layout text to produce such personalized "form letter" output.

Then check out the method illustrated in this demo file that does not require creating a new layout for every type of form letter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xw8buafjuohncu/MessageTemplateBuilder.fp7 This file is in the older file format so if you are using FileMaker 12 or newer, use Open from FileMaker's File menu to open this file and produce a copy converted to the newer file format.