5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2008 5:17 AM by AndreasT

Converting from PC to Mac

Partake

Title

Converting from PC to Mac

Probably a really stupid question but I want to install FM Pro Advanced on a new Mac, I bought FM Pro Advanced originally for a PC. Can I use the existing license? Do I need to download a different version for the Mac?

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
          rmanook

Hi Partake,

Thanks for posting!

As always, there's never a stupid question on the forum!  The range for the FileMaker Forum is for all experience levels and every question is welcomed and appreciated.  I suspect that these type of questions really help out other users who may be a bit shy to post :smileywink:

As for your question, Filemaker Pro is a cross platform software so there is no need to install a different version of the FileMaker software itself.  

The only issue you may come across is the installer.  If you have a CD you can simply put it into your Mac and it will install.  If you purchased an Electronic Download from the FileMaker store, you may need to revisit the download email that was sent to you and download the .dmg link for Mac.

Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
            AndreasT

Also, if you are using Filemaker 9, make sure you deactivate Filemaker on your PC if you do not plan to use it on that machine anymore.

I don't remember off hand the excact location for the deactivation option, but it is one of the menues, probably Help. 

• 3. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
              AndyCohen
                 Yup... You can install and activate on 1 PC AND 1 Mac with one license.  What ya can't do is operate them sharing the same file.  When you try you get a message that tells you you can't.
              • 4. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                Partake
                   Thanks for the help everyone. I'll have more questions soon.
                • 5. Re: Converting from PC to Mac
                  AndreasT

Andychn wrote:
                  Yup... You can install and activate on 1 PC AND 1 Mac with one license.  What ya can't do is operate them sharing the same file.  When you try you get a message that tells you you can't.

True, but as you have a maximum of 2 activations, it would be prudent for any future needs to deactivate the PC installation if it is not to be used anymore.