6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 6:01 PM by davidanders

Converting large (4,000 folders/12,000 files) windows explorer dirictory tree into FM?

MichaelFerrini

Title

Converting large (4,000 folders/12,000 files) windows explorer dirictory tree into FM?

FM version: Pro 11.0 v3

Hello, 

I have created a large worksheet in Excel ('07) to capture the entire windows explorer directory of folders and files on a shared drive within our department. My goal is to reorganize the directory into a hierarchy that mirrors the website and can be moved into a wiki. Total data is approximately 4,000 folders and sub folders containing over 12,000 files. Initially I used Excel because I could transfer the folders and files over using a nice shareware that kept the directory tree linkable, intact with the drivepath specified. However I've quickly reached the limitations of Excel.

The data consists of a hierarchy of folders that contain text documents, presentations, reports in various formats and data logs in xlxs. All of the data is linked (in Excel) to a specific path in the shared drive for ease of reference.

My goal as stated is to reorganize the hierarchy of folders and files and possibly divide the data into three categories; Text Based Content (such as chapters and publications),  HTML content such as URLS, links and anchors, etc., and Archived Content. In each category I want to create a process tree for editing and updating content. 

Should I be looking at FM Pro to handle this data? I am new to FM so I would be learning from the ground. Any advice, general or technical would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Michael