The design of the layout doesn't really have much to do with the text file that you get. Each row of exported text represents one record in the table from which you are exporting so it looks like you need to set this up with many individual records where you currently have a great many fields.
Thanks for your reply as always Phil. I did end up just using one field, and concatenating all the records with a looping script. Unfortunately I need to export this to a .txt, not csv. Any way I tried to export it would not allow it to work. It kept putting an odd symbol at the end of each line, which I assume is the carriage return/line feed characters. I also tried export field contents, which exports the field without the CR/LF characters, which also didn't work. If I tried to put the characters in, before I export field contents, it still doesn't work. Very fickle old technology I guess.
The only thing that did work was in my script, at the end, Select All, then copy. Then I manually open the proper file and Paste.
Thanks again for your help.
When you use Export Field Contents, some character substitution takes place as regards to the character serving as return between lines of text. You should, however, be able to use export Records to export this data and not get that change in record separating characters.