6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2009 2:16 PM by AussiePete

converting text fields to check boxes

AussiePete

Title

converting text fields to check boxes

G'Day everyone. I need some help! I have a Lotus Approach database that I am trying to import into Filemaker 10. There are some checkboxes in the Approach but when I export from Approach in an Excel format the checkboxes change to text. Then, when I import into Filemaker they remain as text. That's OK I understand that (I think)! 

But is there a way to change those text fields into check boxes an get them to use the text data?

And then continue to use the checkboxes when I make new entries or update existing ones? 

There are 30000 plus entries in the Approach database and I don't really want to do them 1 by 1.

I tried to follow the User guide but my understanding of the terminology is not good. I am sort of learning this as I go! 

Anyone?

• 1. Re: converting text fields to check boxes
          comment_1

AussiePete wrote:
          is there a way to change those text fields into check boxes an get them to use the text data?

Yes - if you can get the text into a return-separated list format. That's what a checkbox in Filemaker really is.

• 2. Re: converting text fields to check boxes
            AussiePete
               Return-separated list format? I did a search in the users guide and came up with a lot of stuff. But I couldn't find anything that related to return-separated list format! I really am at little ignorant about this stuff. Could you give me a bit more detail please?
            • 3. Re: converting text fields to check boxes
              comment_1

It would be easier if you provided more details yourself - like what exactly do you have after importing the data.

In general, a field formatted as checkboxes actually stores the checked values as text, with carriage returns in between the values. For example, if you have checked "Red", "Green" and "Aqua Blue" from a value list of colors, the field will contain:

Red

Green

Aqua Blue

• 4. Re: converting text fields to check boxes
                AussiePete

Oh sorry! This is the first time I have ever been on a forum of any kind, so please forgive my ignorance!

The Approach database had some check boxes named "AG, AP, YD, YL, 100int". It would take too long to explain the meaning of each so I won't bother. In the myFile2.fp7 file I am practicing with I have set up the the same headings but instead of check marks I have the letters  "AG, AP, YD, YL, 100int" in the fields.

I have tried to follow the instructions on page 118 of the Filemaker 10 users guide by using the Field/Control setup but get stuck when I get to the Display Values from... part and the Manage Values for.... because I don't know what to put there.

Is there a formula that need to go there? If so , where can I go to find out how and what formula I need to use?    

• 5. Re: converting text fields to check boxes
                  comment_1

Before you can format a field to display as checkboxes, you must define a value list. Choose File > Manage > Value Lists… and define a new value list. You probably want to use the custom values "AG, AP, YD, YL, 100int", so just type them in there.

Then you can set the field to display as checkbox set, displaying values from [your new value list].

• 6. Re: converting text fields to check boxes
                    AussiePete

Hey thanks. That worked! I put them all into one list first and that didn't work. But then I made separate value lists for each entry and it worked fine!

I will probably be back with another question, with my steep learning curve.

Thank you very much!!!