AnsweredAssumed Answered

Converting xmCHART to FileMaker 11 Charts

Question asked by AmberFlanagan on Apr 9, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Converting xmCHART to FileMaker 11 Charts

Hello!

We are upgrading from FM10 to FM11 in the office but before we upgrade everyone, I have been given the task to switch all of our existing graphs (all dynamic line graphs) from xmCHART coding to new graphs using the new Chart system.  We only have 5 licenses of the xmCHART plugin, but there's at least 7 or 8 people would rather have the graphical representation "3 days ago" type of thing.

Our coding as it is (which probably can be simplified down, but that is nothing new) is kind of a disaster.  I will use just one chart for an example, but all coding is set up this way for xmCHART. 

This is the final chart coding, an Unstored Calculation called gChart_VolAmt.  There are two user-made variables in this part of the code, gTickLabels and DL_VolAmt.

xmCH_DrawChart(

"OpenDrawing( 550 ; 300 )

LineChart(symbol)

/* set up styles */

LineStyle(1 ; poly ; 2 ; green )

SymbolStyle( all ; bullet ; 4 ; 1 ; 60 60 60)

AxisMajorTickLabelStyle(x; \"Verdana\" ; 10 ; bold ; ; ; -45)

AxisMajorTickLabelStyle(y; \"Verdana\" ; 10)

AxisMajorTickLabelTexts(x;" & List ( gTickLabels ) & ")

/* set up grid */

MajorGridLineColors( all ; all ; lightGray) 

GridFrame()

/* get Array Data  */

ChartData(" & List ( DL_VolAmt ) & ")

/* Title  */

TitleText ( \" Sale Amount Per Month \" )

TitleStyle ( \" Verdana \" ; 14 ; ; black )

TitleOptions ( topcenter ; ; ; 3 )

CloseDrawing()"

)

The gTickLabels is also an unstored calculation using the following code:

Quote (GetRepetition ( aTickLabels ; 1 ) )  & " ; " &
Quote (GetRepetition ( aTickLabels  ; 2 ) ) & " ; " &
Quote (GetRepetition ( aTickLabels  ; 3 ) ) & " ; " &

This goes up to 24 repetitions to represent the last two years of sales showing every month and I figured that I didn't need to add 24 lines saying the same thing. aTickLabels is a Global Text variable with a maximum of 24 repetitions  These are shown on the horizontal (x) axis of the graph.

The DL_VolAmt is a Global calculation using the following code:

GetRepetition ( aVolAmt ; 1 ) & " " &
GetRepetition ( aVolAmt ; 2 ) & " " &
GetRepetition ( aVolAmt ; 3 ) & " " &

Again, this goes up to 24 repetitions representing the same as above.  aVolAmt is a Global Number variable with a maximum of 24 repetitions.

As stated before, the entire purpose is to convert our xmCHART graphs to the new chart formats in FileMaker 11.  All of our graphs are all just a simple line graph with one line that usually represents the last two years of sales.

I understand how to get the graph started, but I need help making sure the data shows how it needs to be shown.  If anyone has any insight to this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! =D

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am on Windows XP and I am still fairly new at coding in FileMaker in general, as I have only been using it for a couple of months now at the company I am working for

Outcomes