AnsweredAssumed Answered

Coping a Recored from 1 File to a 2nd File Through Scripting

Question asked by KAmsinger on Aug 11, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 by KAmsinger

Title

Coping a Recored from 1 File to a 2nd File Through Scripting

Hi. I am on FMP Adv 11.

I have a database that is on a shared network that is 2 separate files. The first file called "PERSON" contains all of my contacts records. The second file called "QuestionnaireNotes" I store documents for each contact and both are matched up through relationship tables and external data files.

What I am trying to do is write a script in the PERSON file that when I am in a recored that is already created and has commited fields I click on a button it takes the NameFirst, NameLast, and _kp_Person (which is a unique serial number for that record) of the record I am currently in in the PERSON file and then goes to the other file QuestionnaireNotes  and creates a new record and pastes into the new record the same NameFirst, NameLast, and _kp_Person. This way I can then be in a person's record in the first file PERSON and click on a button that will take me to that person's documents stored in the second file QuestionnaireNotes. However, the script I have currently setup is not working properly.

The current script that I have setup is not working because instead of doing what I describe above it is creating a new record in the PERSON file and duplicating the NameFirst, NameLast, and _kp_Person then taking that duplicate record and taking that info in the duplicate record and creating a new record in the QuestionnaireNotes and inserting in the duplicates records information. So when it's done I have 2 duplicate records in the PERSON File that has the NameFirst, NameLast the same names but the _kp_Person id is a new ID. Which is not what I want. I want the script to take the info of the record I am currently in and create a new record in the QuestionnaireNotes File and insert in the same NameFirst, NameLast, and _kp_Person ID. 

Here is my current script that is in the PERSON file and is linked up to a button in the person's record:

Go to Layout ["PERSON" (PERSON)]

#

Set Variable [$Person; Value:PERSON::_kp_Person]

Set Variable [$PersonInfo1; Value:PERSON::NameFirst]

Set Variable [$PersonInfo2; Value:PERSON::NameLast]

#

Open File ["PhotoCatalog"] //This is the actual file name that has a table in it called QuestionnaireNotes

#

New Record/Request

Set Field [QuestionnaireNotes::_kp_Person; $Person]

Set Field [QuestionnaireNotes::NameFirst; $PersonInfo1]

Set Field [QuestionnaireNotes::NameLast; $PersonInfo2]

Commit Record/Requests[]#

Go to Related Record [Show only related records;From table: "QuestionnaireNotes";External; Using Layout "QuestionnaireNotes" (QuestionnaireNotes)]

(end of script)

Then for my relationship tables I have in both the PERSON file and the QuestionnaireNotes File I have the same relationship setup and checked the box in each relationship to allow a new recored created via this relationship in the QuestionnaireNotes table.

PERSON = QuestionnaireNotes

_kp_Person = _kp_Person

NameFirst = NameFirst

NameLast = NameLast

Outcomes