5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 10:35 AM by philmodjunk

copy current layout (with the data) to another filemaker file

Pichi

Title

copy current layout (with the data) to another filemaker file

Hi!

Some can tell me, how can i copy from one file the current information to another file?

thanks

• 1. Re: copy current layout (with the data) to another filemaker file
          bcooney
             Import from one file into the other.
          • 2. Re: copy current layout (with the data) to another filemaker file
            ninja

Howdy,

Your title also references copying the layout.

Assuming that you mean the layout objects and orientation (as opposed to the underlying table), you could copy and paste the layout objects all at once from one Dbase to the other and then redefine each field to the correct references in the new Dbase.  This will perserve your appearance.

bcooney has already covered how to get the data over up above.

• 3. Re: copy current layout (with the data) to another filemaker file
              philmodjunk

Can't tell from your post exactly how/why you want to do this so the following might serve if you just want a snapshot of a current report.

Save the layout as a PDF and then insert the PDF into a container field in the other file.

• 4. Re: copy current layout (with the data) to another filemaker file
                Pichi

Hi Phil:

i have my master file for my own invoice program, i have a customer file, product file, and my master file where i put together all the client information and the products to made a invoice and a budget and job order, (each one should be in a diferents files), Let me explaing better, some client call me and he need a budget for one of my products, i open my master file and fill all the inf, now i need to generate my budget i should have a button to copy the master file information to paste in the other file call budget, and when the client said ok i just take again my master file a push my button to generate my jor order to my company generate the job and when is done i take the same master file and push the invoice button to generate the invoice (in other file) i mean copy the same master file and paste all the current record on budget file, job order or invoive when each step is done.

• 5. Re: copy current layout (with the data) to another filemaker file
                  philmodjunk

"i should have a button to copy the master file information to paste in the other file call budget,"

This has nothing to do with your layout and is not the best way to do this.

With the right relational database design, you would simply create a new record in budget and set specific fields in the new budget record that link the record to the original data in the "master file". The link could be dynamic, changes in master file record automatically update on the budget layout or looked up, changes to the record in the master file do not automatically update.

I think you need to take a step back and carefully look at what tables you need and how they should be related. Your posts suggest that you are new to database design. If so, reading a book on the subject might provide you with useful "background information" that would better enable you to understand the posts in this forum.