2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 12:15 PM by JasonTiller

Copy Field Contents from a Filtered Portal to a Main Table Layout

JasonTiller

Title

Copy Field Contents from a Filtered Portal to a Main Table Layout

Hello,

I am sure that this question has been asked and answered many times, but I cannot find an answer that works for my needs.  I am very new to FileMaker and databases in general, so I would greatly appreciate any help you could give.

I must keep track of all the applicants, current students, and former students in a graduate program in my department at a university and I have set up several related tables to do this.  My main parent table is "Students" and the child table is "Applications."  I have created a filtered portal in a layout based on Students that looks into Applications so that a specific related record appears at the top.  A person can have many applications to my department, but I only want to use the information on the top row and apply it to the context of my parent "Students" table.  Specifically, I would like to copy the value of a certain field on that top row of the portal to a field in my parent Students table layout so that I can apply some conditional formatting to that field.  Is this possible?

Thank you.