5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 8:21 AM by philmodjunk

Copy field from a table and paste it into another table

AbdoulBaldé

Title

Copy field from a table and paste it into another table

Hi, 

I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced version and I can't seem to find a way to copy all records from one field and paste the records into another field in ANOTHER table.

Could you please advise?

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Copy field from a table and paste it into another table
          philmodjunk

But records don't reside in a single field. A record is made up of many fields, not the other way around.

Can you describe what you want to do in more detail. Depending on those details a script might use set variable and set field to move the data, or import records might be used, or it may be that you can just use a relationship to link to the data without needing to copy any data.

• 2. Re: Copy field from a table and paste it into another table
            AbdoulBaldé

I have imported records from an excel spreadsheet and I have created scripts and relationships using that table. I realized that I am now missing one field which is in another Table. 

My Layout is based on Table :

FloorLevels:

- Id 

- Name

Rooms Combination:

- Combinaison Id

- Combinaison Name

- FloorLevelID

Rooms Combinations Attributes:

- Combinaison ID

- Room ID 

- Atrribute 1

- Attribute 2

I would like to copy Combination Name Values in the rooms Combinations Attributes Table but not sure aht script step to use

I tried Set Field but did not work. Could you please help? 

• 3. Re: Copy field from a table and paste it into another table
              philmodjunk

I would like to copy Combination Name Values in the rooms Combinations Attributes Table

and then what?

And I see no field in your Rooms Combinations Attributes table named "Combination Name" so it is not clear what you are trying to copy.

I tried Set Field but did not work.

Well I suggested set variable/set field (you need both) as a way to move data from one record to another, but it is still unclear what you are trying to do here.

• 4. Re: Copy field from a table and paste it into another table
                AbdoulBaldé

Sorry, 

I haven't created the field yet but there will be a field "Combination name" in the Rooms Combinations attributes. 

Basically, 

the combination ID is a number and it was used to reorder the selected room combinations (Combination Names from Rooms Combination Attributes are displayed using one row portals on my Layout .

My issue is to display based on a the Combination Name field I will create in the Rooms Combinations attributes table. This field will combine ; 

Room ID + Combination Name. 

Is the script: 

allow user abort

Set variable ($Variable where the value is = Combination Name)

Set Field (Combination Name from Rooms Combinations attributes Table = $Variable)

?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Copy field from a table and paste it into another table
                  philmodjunk

Sorry but this is still not clear. I'm not convinced you need any script at all.

What I can deduce is that you have these relationships:

FloorLevels-----<RoomsCombinations------<RoomCombinationsAttributes

FloorLevels::id = RoomsCombinations::FloorLevelID
                       RoomCombinations::CombinationID = RoomCombinationsAttributes::CombinationID

My issue is to display based on a the Combination Name field I will create in the Rooms Combinations attributes table. This field will combine ;
                            Room ID + Combination Name.

Display where?

If you want to show this on a layout based on RoomCombinationsAttributes or in the portal row of a portal to RoomCombinationsAttributes, no script is needed. You can use either a pair of merge fields or a calculation field to pull those two values together.