1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 7:22 AM by philmodjunk

Copy files from one table to another with push of a button ?

GregSnell

Title

Copy files from one table to another with push of a button ?

HI.

I am trying to create a database for tracking a hobby.  

I have one table which is a catalog of all available items and then if they are in my own personal collection etc.

I also buy and sell additional pieces to fund the hobby.  Trying to keep track of what I buy and sell and at what prices.    Is there an easy way from my catalog table to have select items copied into my purchases inventory and selling tables ?   My thought is to have a button from my layout view of the catalog, that then adds that info into my purchase table and then I can add price and date purchased etc...

thoughts on an easy way to accomplish this ?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Copy files from one table to another with push of a button ?
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "file"?

You mention "file" in your title but do not describe any in the actual post so I am being careful to consider that there may be more to your problem than is described there.

I would not use a separate table for purchases and sales. A single table can list all items with a status field that identifies whether or not an item is for sale, sold, or any other status that's useful. You can use finds, relationships and/or portal filters to work with just those items in each such category. Then, instead of copying data from one table to another, you just select a value from a value list in a field in that item's record.