AnsweredAssumed Answered

Copy ID from one table to a field in a related table

Question asked by pinchvalve on Sep 26, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 by pinchvalve

Title

Copy ID from one table to a field in a related table

I am trying to do something that seems really simple, but I have searched and searched and cannot find an any solution that is spelled out step by step, for a real beginner.  

•           I have a Layout associated with a table, "orders".    
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           When I create a new record, it automatically assigns a unique Order ID using UUID.  
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           I have a related table "units".  OrderID is related to for_OrderID.
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           Each unit record also has a UUID.  
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           Multiple units can be attached to an order, so I need to link many Units to my Orders table.
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           I want to add units through a portal. 
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           I am not using "allow creation of records" because I do not want the automatic new portal row to be created. 
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           I need to write a script, tied to a button labeled "Add New Unit to Quote" 
  •      
  •            
  •      
  •           This script needs to go to the units table, create a new record, and put the current Quote ID into the appropriate field in the Units table, then return to where I started.  

Copy and Paste will certainly work, but that may cause other issues for the user, so I am trying to avoid.  

The other option is to force Filemaker not to create a new portal row when I tab past the first record.  

Any help would be most appreciated!  

Outcomes