3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 2:28 PM by philmodjunk

Copy Paste resulting in scrap file

JeremyJenkins

Title

Copy Paste resulting in scrap file

Hi, I have filemaker pro 8.0v2 running on Windows 2003 server with service pack 2. All client machines are running either xp or 7 and can copy paste documents just fine. However on the server side I'm cclicking on the click to view doc. button, when the doc open in the view finder I'm right clicking on the image to copy the item. I can copy it but when I try to paste it in my documents it creates a scrap file. Starting to think the version of windows and file maker might be causing the issue but figured I'd try this first. 

• 1. Re: Copy Paste resulting in scrap file
          philmodjunk

Into what kind of documents are you pasting this image?

Most software today offers the option to import image files and you can export image files from Filemaker and then insert the image file into the other document.

• 2. Re: Copy Paste resulting in scrap file
            JeremyJenkins

Sorry, I got really carried away. I'm not very filmialr with File Maker, I'm trying to help a third party team figure this issue they're having. I uploaded a picture of what they're trying to copy. What they're doing is right clicking in that document viewer, clicking copy then pasting in "My Documents". This is creating a scrap file, from what they tell me other users are able to do this just fine from their workstations. The only maching having issues is the server running 2003.

• 3. Re: Copy Paste resulting in scrap file
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, but does that "doc viewer" show a container field or a web viewer? Both can be used to display the contents of a file. Since you are using v8, I suspect that this is a small web viewer. They use a "web pack" set of code from Internet Explorer on windows machines. This version of the OS may have a slightly different version of that and this may explain the difference in behavior.

But it's not the only way to move a copy of the document into the documents folder.

A container field can be used with Export Field Contents to export a copy to documents or even a folder of the user's choice.