4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 5:52 AM by AlexOrrow

Copy specific text from Field

AlexOrrow

Title

Copy specific text from Field

Hi, I currently import file names as separate records. The filename is always the same format " xxxx_xxx_xxxx"

I would like after importing a list of filenames to copy each string of the filename into separate fields on the same record.

So filename 1618_D18_0010 would be copied into the the following fields:

FieldJob: 1618

FieldDisc: 18

FieldNumber: 0010

Is there a script that can do this please?

• 1. Re: Copy specific text from Field
          philmodjunk

You don't have to use a script. You can set up the three fields to auto-enter a portion of this text during the import if you enable auto-enter options. You can also do a replace field contents (if importing multiple image files) or Set Field (if inserting a single file)--either manually or via script immediately after import/insert. It's the same basic calculation either way:

Job:

GetValue ( Substitute ( FileNameFieldHere ; "_" ; ¶ ) ; 1 )

Disc:

GetasNumber ( GetValue ( Substitute ( FileNameFieldHere ; "_" ; ¶ ) ; 2 ) ) //GetasNumber removes the "D"

Number:

GetValue ( Substitute ( FileNameFieldHere ; "_" ; ¶ ) ; 3 )

• 2. Re: Copy specific text from Field
            AlexOrrow

Thank you very much this works just as I had hoped!

Something I notice while using the GetasNumber ( GetValue ( Substitute ( FileNameFieldHere ; "_" ; ¶ ) ; 2 ) ) calc with another field  is that if the filename contains a preceding zero e.g. xxxx_xx_0120 the zero get omitted from the result. Is there a way to retain the zero? Many thanks

• 3. Re: Copy specific text from Field
              philmodjunk

Filter ( GetValue ( Substitute ( FileNameFieldHere ; "_" ; ¶ ) ; 2 ) ; "9876543210" )

You can add other characters to the quoted string as needed.

• 4. Re: Copy specific text from Field
                AlexOrrow

Thank you very much Phil! It works perfectly!